Matt Hancock to take charge of the NHS

A place for some light-hearted chat.
ajm

Matt Hancock to take charge of the NHS

Post by ajm »

So that's alright then! Problem solved! :lol:
"If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself."Mae West.

niemeyjt

Re: Matt Hancock to take charge of the NHS

Post by niemeyjt »

Yep. And BoJo is reported to be reversing the David Cameron "reforms" that were likened to privatisation:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/ ... p-23450014

Olivia

Post by Olivia »

May I ask a question.....I presume the majority of people who comment on the site are resident in France....so why do you do nothing but call the UK - why does it bother you what our NHS is doing - it has nothing to do with you as you are not using it - you reside in France. I don’t see much criticism of eg Germany.....or Lithuania.....or Italy - it’s always the UK - I cannot understand it.
Whatever you may think of the NHS or the government - they’ve at least got us a decent vaccine.

JohnnyD

Post by JohnnyD »

ajm wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:17 am
So that's alright then! Problem solved! :lol:
Could have been failing grayling :lol: or has he already had a go and failed....

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Olivia wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:00 pm
May I ask a question.....I presume the majority of people who comment on the site are resident in France....so why do you do nothing but call the UK - why does it bother you what our NHS is doing - it has nothing to do with you as you are not using it - you reside in France. I don’t see much criticism of eg Germany.....or Lithuania.....or Italy - it’s always the UK - I cannot understand it.
Whatever you may think of the NHS or the government - they’ve at least got us a decent vaccine.
To be fair there is a fair proportion of us in the UK ,or (in normal times ) between the two ,most of the ones who live in France have family and friends in the UK and are actually concerned about them.If you read the banner at the top it encompasses a wide range of interest in France

exile

Post by exile »

Olivia wrote:
In answer as one who is firmly based in France:
1. I have family and close friends who live in the UK and rely on the NHS. Some indeed are employed by it.
2. As a holder of a UK S1, my healthcare costs are paid for by the NHS. Even if our position is protected under the WA would you want to bet that that condition could not change should someone screw up and the NHS run out of funds? Both sides have already shown they are prepared to put the WA in the bin when things get tough.

whyme?

Post by whyme? »

Olivia wrote:
I live in France but still pay UK taxes on rental income & have children & grandchildren there reliant on the services of the state to which I & my company have contributed greatly for many years.
I'm not one who comments much about the NHS on here but non-the-less I think I have a perfect right to criticise it if I so wish.
Mind you, Germany.....or Lithuania.....or Italy is another matter of which I have no knowledge . :roll:
Matter of interest , is it possible that the 'NHS or the Government' 'got a decent vaccine' by the same throw money at it scattergun approach they used to purchase PPE & test & trace stuff but just happened to get lucky this time?

lindal1000

Post by lindal1000 »

Olivia wrote:
I guess because we are still British Citizens. Just because you live somewhere else doesn't mean you cut yourself off from the land of your birth. I live in France and have applied for nationality. At my interview we were discussing how you will always feel that your roots are in one place and your home is in another. Many of us have income and investments in the UK and family...parents, kids, grandchildren etc.

I worked for the NHS much of my working life. My father was one of the first generations to be benefit from it. It is something the UK should be rightly proud of...so I absolutely have the right to continue to be concerned about it and have an opinion on it.

One thing you may not know is that unless you take out nationality of the country you live in the only country you have a vote in ( at least for 15 years anyway) is the UK so you could argue that for many of us the only place where we can express an opinion is the UK.

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt »

It seems sometimes they are damned if they do and are damned if they don't

Hence my previous post - pointing out this initiative is REVERSING the previous much-criticised Cameron initiative that was labelled as privatising the NHS.

lindal1000

Post by lindal1000 »

Problem is no one in the NHS trusts them a bit or believes they have the wellbeing of the NHS at heart. That said ...one thing about governments is that they'll be gone soon. I think in my 20+ years in the NHS there were at least 6 major reforms and the only thing that ever changed was your letterhead and the job description of your manager. Patients still come in needing treatment and staff do their best to deliver regardless.
I remember going to a seminar that was run by a private company who had been contracted in to make NHS staff think with a more businesslike head. The chap running it was very nice and everyone joined in and did all the exercises he asked us to, but no one was fired up with enthusiasm in the way they would have in the private sector. After in the feedback section the organiser reflected that the NHS was one of the most difficult areas for him to work in because the staff were mostly very intelligent and challenged everything.