UK lockdown/Quarantine

A place for some light-hearted chat.
lindal1000

Re: UK lockdown/Quarantine

Post by lindal1000 »

And as for calling the number to get help with shopping or for someone to pick up your medication..forget it. Not that they won't eventually help...they did eventually contact Neil's mum after 3 weeks of her trying, but they certainly don't seem to be able to provide an emergency service.

And ordering a delivery??? During lockdown deliveries and even click and collect are booked up weeks in advance.

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt »

@LD - you should be doing self-quarantine not self-isolation.

I think durations are different - 10 days vs 14 days - and the former has a test 2 release 5-day get-out. Quarantine is for arrivals and isolation is for close contacts.

At least that is how I read it having had to do former on my last visit and Uncle having had to do the latter when his wife died of Covid-19.

lindal1000

Post by lindal1000 »

niemeyjt wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:24 am
@LD - you should be doing self-quarantine not self-isolation.

I think durations are different - 10 days vs 14 days - and the former has a test 2 release 5-day get-out. Quarantine is for arrivals and isolation is for close contacts.

At least that is how I read it having had to do former on my last visit and Uncle having had to do the latter when his wife died of Covid-19.
I didn't realise there was a difference between the two! Why don't they just hand out a leaflet to everyone arriving outlining clearly what they should be doing rather than directing people to websites that are confusing and often contradictory, particularly if the advice has changed and you are looking at an older version.

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt »

lindal1000 wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:29 am
I didn't realise there was a difference between the two! Why don't they just hand out a leaflet to everyone arriving outlining clearly what they should be doing rather than directing people to websites that are confusing and often contradictory, particularly if the advice has changed and you are looking at an older version.
It is probably easier to update one website with the latest policy than to keep sending pieces of paper when the situation is so fluid.

The Swiss rely on websites - and they are remarkably good it has to be said. Not only that, they send out SMS to all Swiss phones when there is a change (roughly every fortnight).

So it can work.
Screenshot_20210130-083749_Message.png

rabbit

Post by rabbit »

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:40 am
I thought that my quarantine was self isolation, & that as usual to muddy the waters they were calling the same thing by different names.

Am I doing one, the other or both?

Or perhaps you meant "between quarantine/self isolation and national lockdown" ?
When all is said and done sensible people don't need rules, it's just common sense.

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt »

Common sense is lacking in all quarters, sadly. When the NHS managers insist retired GPs volunteering to help the vaccination program have to first undergo anti-radicalisation training it is clear the fish rots from the head.