Why are there still flights coming into the UK and what are the rules for travelling?

A place for some light-hearted chat.
AIIy

Why are there still flights coming into the UK and what are the rules for travelling?

Post by AIIy »

That's the question the Evening Standard poses tonight. The editor in chief of the ES is George Osborne. You'd think he'd know someone better to ask than his readership.
Then he could do what newspapers are supposed to do, inform their readership.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/flig ... 7.html?amp
Being funny makes you more attractive.
Beauty fades but sarcasm lives forever.

After the Storm 2

Re: Why are there still flights coming into the UK and what are the rules for travelling?

Post by After the Storm 2 »

Maybe in other countries but logical thinking and U.K. newspapers don’t go together.

Plog

Re: Why are there still flights coming into the UK and what are the rules for travelling?

Post by Plog »

I don't think the Standard piece is that bad TBH but could have gone further...somebody really does needs to provide some balance to those mainstream media outlets that continually paint a picture of "aviation bad", "all the people you see in the queues are travelling on holiday" and "there are still squillions of people arriving at Heathrow...".

The arrivals board or Flight radar really don't tell the whole story but far too many people are still look at one or the other and then start griping loudly, often on-line about "all those flights coming into the country bringing in holiday makers with their bugs"..that's where, the Standard article could have done better job.

Under 10,000 a day into LHR ..agreed, ties in what I've heard...not a lot ( but enough to quickly overwhelm local hotel is a decision is made to locally quarantine all arrivals)

Essential workers need to fly into UK - agreed,..though in the mention of essential workers it might have been more helpful to specifically mention Health Care Professionals including researchers and medical equipment technicians rather than sportsmen and women.

It also missed an opportunity with: "There are anecdotal reports of planes arriving in the UK largely empty". An anecdote maybe but with a bit of research the reporter would have been able to inform the readership that whilst the "planes" :roll: might have been largely empty of passengers many of the Long haul aircraft, especially those arriving from the Far east, the US or the Indian sub-continent are often loaded up to maximum weight because of 50-60 tonnes of hold loaded PPE/pharmaceuticals, and the later are often very temperature/time sensitive and so need of rapid transport to the UK to combat Covid.

Some flights have been arriving with zero passengers but with the holds and the cabin crammed with medical supplies:https://www.soundhealthandlastingwealth ... rom-china/.

One operator is currently freighting in 2,000,000 (yep, 2 milllion) Covid testing kits on every single one of their aircraft that does a China round trip....

It's a bit sad but not surprising to see that the usual suspects in the cabinet have been lobbying for a total flight ban but I guess that's down to their careers and "the optics" but people (including some senior people in the NHS) would pretty soon be squealing very loudly if some people and lots of freight did stopped being flown into the UK .....

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt »

Poor George - never misses an opportunity to put his foot into his mouth, never a situation that George cannot make worse.

tim17

Post by tim17 »

SIL is a tennis coach and now that the season has started will be flying in and out of the UK along with her players, all of them have exemptions from isolation/quarantine rules.

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt »

tim17 wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:15 am
SIL is a tennis coach and now that the season has started will be flying in and out of the UK along with her players, all of them have exemptions from isolation/quarantine rules.
And there you have an example of why we see 100K deaths in UK.

Let us hope sportspeople are not exempt from the "hotel quarantine" proposals.

Plog

Post by Plog »

niemeyjt wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:39 am
Let us hope sportspeople are not exempt from the "hotel quarantine" proposals.
From what I've already seen HMG have already clamped down on giving any exemptions to anybody, even essential workers, travelling (obviously) indirectly from countries effected by the flight bans that came into effect a few days ago so I can't see sportspeople side stepping that one...unless they fail to declare their travel history :roll:.

Also FWIW the current list of categories exempt from quarantine in the UK continues to shrink...some of the more contentious categories, for example the "business director bringing jobs and investment to the UK" exemption was dropped last week.

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt »

Plog wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:45 am
Also FWIW the current list of categories exempt from quarantine in the UK continues to shrink...some of the more contentious categories, for example the "business director bringing jobs and investment to the UK" exemption was dropped last week.
Yes - I saw that - but at that point sportsmen were still on the list.

I worry as the government seems susceptible to lobbying and putting social / economic / political concerns ahead of medical best practice.

Plog

Post by Plog »

niemeyjt wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:53 am
Plog wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:45 am
Yes - I saw that - but at that point sportsmen were still on the list.

I worry as the government seems susceptible to lobbying and putting social / economic / political concerns ahead of medical best practice.
I'll be honest and say I'm uneasy about singling out specific groups for "special attention" when it come to this subject..I do feel the sportspeople exemption is questionable but OTOH the individuals have a very possibly very short career, the outbreak will finish many of them and they can very much be regarded as travelling for work purposes

If you're looking for a reason for the 100k deaths I'd say look at the reported mask wearing (or not ) habits of many Border Officials and others at UK airports, rather than worrying about a few sporting types...