Neighbours Sewer Pipe On My Land

KANGAROG

Neighbours Sewer Pipe On My Land

Post by KANGAROG »

Hello,

A bit of background so you understand the whole story.

I own a house near Limoges. On the west side of our house is 40 m2 of our garden paved in stone and then the wall of the neighbours building. Their building is composed of a hairdresser shop on the ground floor and an apartment on the 1st floor. The hairdresser owns the building and rents the apartment to a young family with kids.

Many decades ago the owner of my house also owned the neighbours building. Both houses were renovated by the owner at the time (I'm guessing in the 70's).

In May of 2020 I decided to remove the 40m2 of stone paving to build a concrete patio. On removing the stones I found a 100mm waste water/sewage pipe that comes from the appartment of the 1st floor next door. I actually broke it with the crow bar I was using by accident. My wife quickly ran next door to tell the hairdresser/ building owner. She came later on to talk about it. I told her I could fix the hole I punctured in the pipe, but that we would like it to go. (It was May 2020 and we'd only recently been deconfined). She complained about money, but said she would send her husband to investigate. Then nothing for months. My wife spoke to her once more, and she said she was waiting to add it to some insurance claim so that she wouldn't have to pay for it.

So now we have a patio in 2 sections with a pipe (above ground) running through the middle of it.

I've read some French forums of exactly the same problem. But no resolution is clear.

What do we do?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

mysty

Re: Neighbours Sewer Pipe On My Land

Post by mysty »

Not a lot you can do about it now as it was there before you bought the property.
If they asked you now if they can run a pipe through your garden you could say no.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Presumably its only now above ground as you have removed the existing stones paving, when you create your concrete patio will it not be covered again?

Or perhaps you are wanting to lower the level.

Do you know if there is a servitude d'aqueduc on your property?

Your voisin is within their rights to ask for one now by making a demande de reconnaissance de servitude.

If you pursue it then both of you will incur legal costs and there will no doubt be bad feeling & I suspect the resolution will be a régularisation de situation meaning you gain nothing.

Sorry to sound negative.
“The good atmosphere of this forum relies on the collective responsibility of those that use it, it is not for us to have to monitor adults.”

curtis

Post by curtis »

Is the pipe going to join the town sewage pipes or to a fosse septique somewhere else or just draining away?
Drive fast, attract the Police. Drive faster, attract sponsors.

KANGAROG

Post by KANGAROG »

I'm pretty sure there is no servitude. It was a surprise for both sides. But I can check our docs.

The top of the pipe was about 10cm below the original ground level. (normally the pipe should be at least 60cm deep). The stones were paved on the pipe. I needed to excavate 20cm on one side of the patio as there was way too much of a slope for an outdoor table. I've finished half of the concreting at the new level. I cant continue because of the pipe. The way she handled it the first time gave me complete confidence. But I think she just said the things that we wanted to hear.

Our plumbing isn't the best either. We have multiple concrete "regards" (dont know what they're called in english, Inspection pits?). The neighbours pipe runs into one of our "regards" which has a mud trap in the bottom. ie the entries and exits are 5cm higher than bottom of the pit, so solids stay in the bottom...........you can picture what happens in there. And then that gets piped to another "regard" and then to another "regard" and then to town processing. Rain water, grey water, sewage, everything...

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

The public sewers are often not low enough in the roads to allow the correct fall from the habitations and respect the 60cm depth if that is indeed a norme.

My sewer connection at the trottoir is not much deeper than 60cm if that, to get the correct fall where it exits my appartement is virtually at ground level, maybe 20cm to the bottom of the regard but thankfully its a machined cast iron one like the others so well sealed with the gunge that sits there.
“The good atmosphere of this forum relies on the collective responsibility of those that use it, it is not for us to have to monitor adults.”

mysty

Post by mysty »

If its just concrete inspection hatches with raw sewage coming out that changes everything.
Mains drains or fosse makes no difference.
You need to get spanc or whoever covers your area out to sort it out.
No one is allowed to have there poop exiting in your garden.
Welcome to the forum, what colour toilet paper comes up :lol:
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

AIIy

Post by AIIy »

Don't answer that last question. He'll judge you and use it against you.
I'd suggest a sit down round the table, husbands, wives, wine, nibbles, the lot. Try and get solid commitments and offer to throw some money at it. A bitter pill maybe, but better that than a split patio and fractured relations.
I'm Ally by the way. The voice of reason and the funniest guy on the forum according to a survey of 35 members. Paradoxically, I'm probably the most disliked (no survey, just hate mail). Incredible, I know. Welcome to the forum.
Being funny makes you more attractive.
Beauty fades but sarcasm lives forever.