Law regarding smoke detectors.

Crazy Diamond

Law regarding smoke detectors.

Post by Crazy Diamond » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:38 am

I would appreciate clarification regarding the above. I understand it is mandatory they are fitted in domestic dwellings. Is this correct and if so, how many per house, does it depend on the number of rooms, floor area of the house or apartment? We have had them installed for years, long before the time I believe legislation was introduced but I'm unsure if we have sufficient or too many - something quite possible given quirky French legislation.

I would also like to know the rules in respect of smoke detectors in rented properties. The reason I ask is we have just returned from a short break in Brittany where we rented an Airbnb apartment. The place was OK, but I was appalled there was no detector in place, especially as the apartment is on the second floor. There was a smoke detector base plate fixed to one wall, but sadly the detector itself was missing. If smoke detectors are mandatory for domestic dwellings, surely the same or stricter rules apply for rented properties?

Bonne journée,

Syd.
Sometimes a majority just means all the wrong people are on the same side.

curtis

Re: Law regarding smoke detectors.

Post by curtis » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:57 am

Drive fast, attract the Police. Drive faster, attract sponsors.

Le-Dolly

Post by Le-Dolly » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:51 pm

Only one(1) Daaf is required for each domestic residence to comply with the law, it is entirely up to the home owner if they fit more.

In long term, 12 months or 3 years, rental properties the owner is under an obligation to buy and fit the Daaf, but the locataire is responsible for the maintenance and battery upkeep.

In locations saisonnières, Daaf's must be supplied and maintained by the propriétaire.

In your case, regarding the missing Daaf, I would have thought a 1* review would be in order, it is seldom the case that a 0* can be left.
Le-Dolly ( . )( . ) www.pink-electrique.fr

Crazy Diamond

Post by Crazy Diamond » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:22 pm

Belated thanks for your replies. I did rate the Airbnb place we rented and left a review pointing out the absence of the smoke detector which is in contravention of French legislation. No response from Airbnb re this breach of the law so I guess I’ll have to rattle their cage. Somehow think naff-all will happen as Airbnb are more concerned with making moolah than their members safety.

Syd.
Sometimes a majority just means all the wrong people are on the same side.

suein56

Post by suein56 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:27 pm

According to comment ça marche it is one if the house/flat is on one level but 2 ie one on each level in a house/duplex with 2 floors :

https://droit-finances.commentcamarche. ... -concernes

Précision importante : la loi n'impose l'installation que d'un seul détecteur de fumée par logement. Sauf dans les logements à plusieurs niveaux (duplex, maisons) où il en faut un par étage.
Computing can bring you closer to others - mentally if not physically

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:12 pm

Leaving a one or zero star review for the lack of a functioning smoke detector in an otherwise good accomodation is not very nice, if the place otherwise has good reviews they will never ever regain their previous average, if it a relatively new place then a simple word to them would be more effective, they are still learning, if they have few reviews you might drop their score from say 9 to 2 or 3.

I do all my own changeovers so have gradually become wise to the stunts that the outgoing renters might pull, from smokers removing the battery from the smoke detector (its a non smoking establishment) to people boiling soup or noodles or milk in the kettle, I now know to check all these things every time but it adds time and work when 99% of the time all will be well, if someone is paid to do the changeovers then you cannot be sure it has been done, this may well have been the case with the OP's stay.

In any case each time I have become wise to yet another example of a renter abusing the accomodation it is often another renter, thankfully an understanding one who has informed me, I would like to think that anyone would do that before leaving a one or zero star review, I am guessing that in Syds case the owner was not on site or present to speak with.
These users thanked the author Le Démerdeur for the post:
Kathyc (Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:34 pm)