Terms and conditions apply

Headers

Terms and conditions apply

Post by Headers » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:51 pm

I recently had to go and pick up a new bank card from my Credit Agricole branch. Apart from the lady at the desk chewing gum throughout our transaction and answering the phone and discussing the details of a customer in front of me, the thing that I found most frustrating was the ‘terms and conditions’.
To sign for my card - oh no we’ve gone paperless she said, use the touch screen she said. So I had to sign the screen...twice god knows why, then a screen with terms and conditions popped up, but not all the ts and cs were visible so I started to scroll down. There were pages and pages of them, oh no don’t bother to read that she said, just touch the read and agreed button.
What is the point. When something goes tits up, they’ll say I read the ts and cs. If there had been a queue of people behind me, there would have definitely been moaning and groaning if I’d stood there and read them all. It’s ridiculous.
Rant over.

Le Démerdeur

Re: Terms and conditions apply

Post by Le Démerdeur » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:36 pm

And their on line banking website and all the others regularly refuse you access unless you click once again on "I agree to the new terms and conditions" buried within will often be new additional bank charges, the CA slipped in the €2 per month frais de gestion compte active like that adding €24 to what was before a free account apart from the mastercard charge.

Pretty much every web site you visit in recent days makes you do the same, ostensibly because of the new data protection laws but in reality its to force through new terms and conditions.

I have refused the Linky meters, they keep saying that as a consequence I will have to pay in future for meter readings whereas I know they cannot do so within the current contract we have between which cannot be changed without the agreement of both parties, I'm certain that they will bring the changes through in the same manner.

Think how many times yo have been screwed in France by companies like mobile operators changing their terms, stealing your illimitée credit etc, then think how many times you have had no choice but to click "I accept" something even within the last 24 hours.

Doug

Post by Doug » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:57 pm

Headers wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:51 pm
I recently had to go and pick up a new bank card from my Credit Agricole branch. Apart from the lady at the desk chewing gum throughout our transaction and answering the phone and discussing the details of a customer in front of me, the thing that I found most frustrating was the ‘terms and conditions’.
To sign for my card - oh no we’ve gone paperless she said, use the touch screen she said. So I had to sign the screen...twice god knows why, then a screen with terms and conditions popped up, but not all the ts and cs were visible so I started to scroll down. There were pages and pages of them, oh no don’t bother to read that she said, just touch the read and agreed button.
What is the point. When something goes tits up, they’ll say I read the ts and cs. If there had been a queue of people behind me, there would have definitely been moaning and groaning if I’d stood there and read them all. It’s ridiculous.
Rant over.
We have just changed branches of CA, had two one and half hour rendeviews with a charming financial adviser, couldn't be more impressed with the service.
Does anyone ever read the pages of conditions? especially when buying a house, only the main parts me thinks.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:57 pm

Doug wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:57 pm
We have just changed branches of CA, had two one and half hour rendeviews with a charming financial adviser, couldn't be more impressed with the service.

[/quote]

Well she/he (a financial advisor) would be wouldn't she/he!!!!!

I was in town to dump both the C.A. and La Banque Postale who I had gone to after being screwed by C.A. except they were even more insoiciant about stealing my money, withdrew big cheque from L.B.P. andd was in C.A. to close all my accounts to deposit the money in my (currently) 3rd banque La CIC when I saw a charming and beautiful girl from my new running club behind one of the desks but she was tied up with another client, saw Mme dragon and had to make appointment to close account, Nelly came over to give me la bise and to my delight I found that she is the new directrice of the branch so instead of clearing out all the money I paid a load more in.

Now the new banque La CIC who to date have been irreprochable are sadly going to lose my business, Nelly is coming to see me next week to see the business and discuss the potential new one and for once I will be happy for someone to be charming and to talk about investments, the money in all 3 banks is currently bringing in next to nothing.

Its taken me 40+ years to finally have a decent relationship with a bank manager and but for a twist of fate it would never have happened.

mysty

Post by mysty » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:43 pm

It's a bit like Google sometimes it says you need to agree to the new terms and conditions. I just scroll down and click accept.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:15 am

Its a dangerous precedent to set for all the "er indoors" of this world though :lol:

Most of us will agree to anything for a quiet life.
These users thanked the author Le Démerdeur for the post:
Aardvark (Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:00 am)

curtis

Post by curtis » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:17 am

I always read before signing.
Drive fast, attract the Police. Drive faster, attract sponsors.

goslow
Has thanked: 0

Post by goslow » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:34 pm

Once we had a problem with Caisse D'Epargarne bank. We bought an Assurance Vie with the bank, they told us that we could cash in the investment after 8 years. The document ran to more than 10 pages.
We signed were instructed and left.
The expected return after the first year never happened and each year we got less and less return, naturally each year the social contributions kept growing and on top of everything the bank omitted to tell us that we had to pay 8% as a health contribution on encashment.
After 8 years we went to the bank and told them that we wanted to cash out. To our surprise and shock the new bank manager ( 3rd since we took out the investment ) told us that we had signed a 10 year contract and magically produced the document and told us severe penalties would apply.
We were furious and despite telling them that we were told we could cash in the policy after 8 years, they refused.
We went to an Advocate who sent the bank a letter asking the bank as to what their policy was on selling an investment policy to clients knowing that they could not read or understand french and asking them to sign a complicated document.
The bank response was to ask us to a meeting where they asked us to tell them what we wanted and that no penalty would apply. They even asked us to sign a document asking that we would not sue the bank, my wife refused and told them that they would have to accept our word which unlike the bank we would honour.

Fitter

Post by Fitter » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:39 pm

"We went to an Advocate who sent the bank a letter asking the bank as to what their policy was on selling an investment policy to clients knowing that they could not read or understand french and asking them to sign a complicated document.
The bank response was to ask us to a meeting where they asked us to tell them what we wanted and that no penalty would apply. "

That - Is extremely interesting. :good:
Whenever you hear the consensus of scientists agrees on something or other, reach for your wallet, because you’re being had.

– Michael Crichton

hez
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by hez » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:13 pm

C.A. always send our new cards through the post.