British legacy received by French resident

pomme homme

British legacy received by French resident

Post by pomme homme » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:09 am

Has anyone resident in France received a testementary gift from someone who was domiciled in the UK at the time of that person's death? If so, have they experience of how it is dealt with by the French tax authorities? It is my understanding that the testementary gift must be declared to the French tax authorities (which form?) but as IHT has been paid by the estate in the UK, under the UK/France double taxation treaties no further tax is payable by the beneficiary in France. Is that what transpired for those (any?) of you who have actual experience of this?

lindal1000

Re: British legacy received by French resident

Post by lindal1000 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:13 am

If the person was a UK resident and the inheritance was from the UK then you don't have to declare it at all.
These users thanked the author lindal1000 for the post (total 2):
pomme homme (Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:16 pm) • paris_saint (Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:34 pm)

suein56

Post by suein56 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:28 pm

lindal1000 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:13 am
If the person was a UK resident and the inheritance was from the UK then you don't have to declare it at all.
+1 - as the estate is considered to have had all the taxes due on it - if any - paid in the country where the deceased lived, so nothing is due to be paid by the person who inherits.
These users thanked the author suein56 for the post:
pomme homme (Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:16 pm)
Computing can bring you closer to others - mentally if not physically

pomme homme

Post by pomme homme » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:14 pm

Thank you, both, for your posts. However I have difficulty reconciling your assertions with the statement in the third paragraph here. Are your statements based on actual experience? Can you please tell me where you found the authority to support them?

suein56

Post by suein56 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:47 pm

Personal experience then yes .. I did inherit from an aunt .. and I remember looking it up at the time .. either droits-finances or some such site and was happy with what I read. It wasn't much money anyway.
The main snag I have with your link's article is that she glosses over the point without going into any detail at all. I would be tempted to ask her to elaborate but then, I suppose, that is the idea of the article .. she clearly wants questions to be asked so she can charge for the reply.
These users thanked the author suein56 for the post:
pomme homme (Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:55 pm)
Computing can bring you closer to others - mentally if not physically

lindal1000

Post by lindal1000 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:49 pm

when my mum died and I inherited some money I asked the tax people and they said it was nothing they needed to know about. If in doubt drop them an email and ask them.
These users thanked the author lindal1000 for the post:

Tom

Post by Tom » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:28 pm

PH, the link you gave says in the fourth paragraph...
What many expats do not realise is that if you are a French resident and inherit from someone who was a UK resident you need to complete and submit a French Succession tax form to URSAAF within 12 months of their death. No actual tax is payable in France as there is a tax treaty in place between the two countries.
Doesn't that say what everyone else has been saying?

:D Perhaps a declaration is necessary because, if you inherit millions, you might have to pay an annual tax on your fortune.
These users thanked the author Tom for the post:
Candy is dandy
But liquor is quicker

pomme homme

Post by pomme homme » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:54 pm

Tom, please look again at my initial post. There I said that my understanding is that (a) no tax on the British legacy is payable in France but (b) the legacy has to be declared to the French authorities. However as others haven't declared British legacies received to the french authorities,and nothing adverse seems to have come of this, perhaps there is comfort to be taken from that. I had hoped that someone might have declared a British legacy to the French authorities and thus be able to say what had happened in consequence. It would appear that no-one has. Thank you, all, for your input.