How to transfer money from my French account to my UK account.

Annabelle's Papa

How to transfer money from my French account to my UK account.

Post by Annabelle's Papa »

As above, I use TransferWise to send money from my UK account to my French account with Credit Mutuel de Bretagne.

I registered the TransferWise account on my French bank account as someone to pay last week, it has taken a number of days to accept it but logged in today and it was on my list of people to pay, so put in €1000 to send to my account and it says I have exceeded my daily limit. I am eventually looking to transfer a large amount of money (the proceeds of a French house sale) and it would take a very long time to do that. Any ideas where I can get a guaranteed (and good) rate of exchange using a currency broker that my French bank would accept.
Last edited by Annabelle's Papa on Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
The truth is everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for. Bob Marley

bjsliv

Re: How to transfer money from my French account to my UK account.

Post by bjsliv »

Have you read Transferwise's FAQs on how to send larger sums of money?

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt »

First speak to Credit Mutuel - you should have a named adviser. I had to do this to get a block removed for foreign transfers - maybe the same applies to transfer limits?

Un Autre Gallois

Post by Un Autre Gallois »

Hi - I'm a newbie, having migrated from another planet! I have used Currencies Direct in the past for such transfers (in both directions) and have found them to be competitive, so long as you haggle.
UaG

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

bjsliv wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:31 pm
Have you read Transferwise's FAQs on how to send larger sums of money?
It's CMB's FAQs he needs to read, he wants to send money from CMB to Transferwise, not the other way.

I agree with niemeyjt, speak to your CMB conseilleur and explain the situation.
Un Autre Gallois wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:20 pm
Hi - I'm a newbie, having migrated from another planet! I have used Currencies Direct in the past for such transfers (in both directions) and have found them to be competitive, so long as you haggle.
UaG
Welcome to the forum, uag, you can post on this topic to tell us more: viewtopic.php?t=1
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

suein56

Post by suein56 »

Annabelle's Papa wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:23 pm
As above, I use TransferWise to send money from my UK account to my French account with Credit Mutuel de Bretagne.

I registered the TransferWise account on my French bank account as someone to pay last week, it has taken a number of days to accept it but logged in today and it was on my list of people to pay, so put in €1000 to send to my account and it says I have exceeded my daily limit. I eventually looking to transfer a large amount of money (the proceeds of a French house sale) and it would take a very long time to do that. Any ideas where I can get a guaranteed (and good) rate of exchange using a currency broker that my French bank would accept.
As nimey says the (hopefully temporary) problem is with CMB .. as a Bank they are incredibly security conscious especially with regard to money laundering. They are an excellent Bank but .. some aspects of their functionality need tweaking.
Do explain your specific requirements to your conseiller and ask for their help and advice to achieve your aim.
Good luck.
Computing can bring you closer to others - mentally if not physically

Annabelle's Papa

Thanks all who have posted, I have contacted our conseiller (didn't know we had one and have been with the bank for 18 years) by email and hopefully we can get TransferWise unblocked as a payee.

thanks for the heads up on Currencies Direct, I used to use them a few years ago, even had an account manager- Michael Schofield I think his name was, when I want to send a larger amount of money I will contact them to see if I can get a better rate. :good:

I remember stopping using them when it became so simple and transparent with TransferWise and Currencies Direct kept on calling me which got annoying.
The truth is everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for. Bob Marley

Annabelle's Papa

Finally have done my "sample" transfer from my Credit Mutuel de Bretagne account to TransferWise and then into my UK bank, it took a week using the consellier via email, it took plenty of emails, why oh why do they not ask for all the information iin one email, first they wanted a Notaires copy of the house sale (they had seen a copy and taken a copy when we last visited the bank in August), then a copy of my passport, then a copy of my driving license and a utility bill, then got an email to say our daily maximum was now €1000, no I want the lot, email asking what for, i just said to re-invest in the UK, I asked for the ceiling to be set at €150 ,000, no was the reply the maximum that could be authorised is €40,000 per day and we would have to do deal with her personally (what are we doing at the moment...).

Anyway got an email from TransferWise at 06.54am, saying the money has arrived with them, 07.01am received another email from them to say it is on the way to my UK account, checked my account at 8.00am and it was already there. Did slightly better on the exchange than the one that expired earlier in the week. So €1000 = £910.12 :good:

suein56

Post by suein56 »

Annabelle's Papa wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:03 pm
Anyway got an email from TransferWise at 06.54am, saying the money has arrived with them, 07.01am received another email from them to say it is on the way to my UK account, checked my account at 8.00am and it was already there. Did slightly better on the exchange than the one that expired earlier in the week. So €1000 = £910.12 :good:
Excellent .. delighted to read that perseverance pays 😊
Computing can bring you closer to others - mentally if not physically

Annabelle's Papa

suein56 wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:16 pm
Annabelle's Papa wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:03 pm
Excellent .. delighted to read that perseverance pays 😊
Thanks Sue, anything accomplished with French Administration is a small victory, it is not a language thing, our French friends pull their hair out sometimes at the lack of joined up thinking, they say France is more productive than the UK... when in this one occasion, 5 emails each way to send a relatively small amount. When I was running a small business, I didn't have the luxury of sending 5 emails regarding one subject, I had to persuade my customers (all blue chip customers- if they exist anymore). Who, where, why, what and ultimately their ideal expectation of the outcome to the subject.

i.e- If I could wave my magic wand my ideal outcome to this situation would be X, done by Y and to cost around Z

My competitors never knew how I got so much business. ;)