French credit card to replace Barclaycard!

Hereford

French credit card to replace Barclaycard!

Post by Hereford »

We have always had one credit card in the name of each of of us (and as accountants and we told all our clients to do the same) so that if one dies the survivor still has a card and indeed a credit reference. Having a second card on one account does not cover this!
Now that our barclaycard is to be cancelled (so we will only have a Nationwide card) we feel the time has come to get a French card.
We have a French debit card, of course, but would like an actual credit card too for use outside France as well as here.
The only card we have found so far that is vaguely like we are all used to seems to be a cartezero
https://www.cartezero.fr/
and even this is really what we would call a charge card.
Does anyone have any experience with this card please? Or any other suggestions?
Many thanks
Mrs H.

Lapourtaider

Re: French credit card to replace Barclaycard!

Post by Lapourtaider »

Hereford wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:40 pm
We have always had one credit card in the name of each of of us (and as accountants and we told all our clients to do the same)........ .....Or any other suggestions?
Try living without one. Have done so for the last fifteen years and have never once needed one, even when hiring cars etc. Quite liberating actually.

Joinfrance

Post by Joinfrance »

I can second that. I haven’t had a credit card since last century! Never missed it!

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

I have several but have not used any of them since the last century except when they threaten to withdraw them, its the allure of the huge amount that I could draw on if ever I wake up to another Icelandic bank crisis that makes me keep them, & they seem happy to keep sending them out and increasing the amount that can be spent on them in the hope I will one day use them.
“The good atmosphere of this forum relies on the collective responsibility of those that use it, it is not for us to have to monitor adults.”

landmannnn

Post by landmannnn »

A bit off topic, but the purchase protection when using a credit card is very useful. I have only used it twice, but it does give some insurance/assurance when buying big stuff.

Fitter

Post by Fitter »

landmannnn wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:21 pm
A bit off topic, but the purchase protection when using a credit card is very useful. I have only used it twice, but it does give some insurance/assurance when buying big stuff.
Yes - a big round of applause for that section 75 protection which works worldwide on a UK credit card.
"It’s easier to fool people than to prove to them that they were fooled"
"You can't say A causes B if B happens first" - Thomas Sowell

elsie

Post by elsie »

Looking at https://www.capitaine-credit.com/carte- ... arte-zero/ I cannot see any advantages. Charged interest the day after any cash withdrawal. High interest for any debit not paid off at the end of the up-to-six-weekly cycle.

My free Boursorama Gold Mastercard seems better. Otherwise I just keep the necessary balance in my Revolut and Monzo accounts and use those when travelling.

Mrs Archy

Post by Mrs Archy »

landmannnn wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:21 pm
I can quite understand the purchase protection being useful as when we arrived here 13+ years ago I ordered an item on my debit card (no credit cards) The company wouldn't send to France themselves but via Skypax who they could highly recommend. From memory it appeared the item was reboxed when it was with Skypax. When it arrived here the item was smashed to bits. I contacted the company I bought it from who said it was not their problem and to contact Skypax which I did and got the same answer. I went round in circles for a short while before contacting Citizens Advice who couldn't help because it was an item to France. In the end OH said don't drive yourself potty with it let it go - so I did £120 down the toilet!
Northern Soul - Keep The Faith

‘The brightest flame casts the darkest shadows’

Tom

Post by Tom »

A credit card in France is actually a debit card where you can defer payment until a set date each month. What Hereford is looking for is called a revolving credit card, which only exists in the form of store cards. Zero is just playing at being a revolving card.
https://www.cartezero.fr/?channel=sem&p ... XUQAvD_BwE

It's possible that traditional revolving credit cards would fall foul of French usary laws. When you see the extortionate interest rates charged in the UK this makes sense. The only members of the public who benefit from the UK system are those who clear their balance each month whilst enjoying their card's consumer protections.
“He who laughs last didn’t get the joke.”
– Charles de Gaulle

curtis

Post by curtis »

I have had a credit card since Lloyds first introduced them and always paid it off each month, if I used it. Now I perhaps buy something once a year just to show I am still around. Useful to have, expensive if you borrow.
My card with Banque Populaire has a credit option which you have to select every time you use the card. When that was added I said I didn't want it, but there was no choice. There are a handful of other benefits with the card though. So exciting I can't remember what they are. :)
Drive fast, attract the Police. Drive faster, attract sponsors.