storm takes out sat. receiver boxes

Water, electricity, gas etc.
limousinlady

storm takes out sat. receiver boxes

Post by limousinlady » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:25 pm

The recent storm took out our Humax and other two sat. receiver boxes, which were all purchased in the UK. Before we go out and purchase new in France (maybe sat. receiver boxes that are non-recordable) OH wants to ensure that they are compatible with the UK - Astra satellite. Can anyone advise?

Thanks.

elsie

Re: storm takes out sat. receiver boxes

Post by elsie » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:41 pm

As an aside, have you spoken to your house insurers to see if you can make a claim?
I ended up buying an APC UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) to protect mine after the second died during a storm. I've now not had any of those problems for over ten years.
These users thanked the author elsie for the post:
Biggles (Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:05 pm)

Crabtree

Post by Crabtree » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:02 pm

Generic FTA satellite boxes will be fine with Astra for UK TV.

HOWEVER, they will not have the freesat EPG like the Humax of other freesat boxes. The main downside of this is that you cannot set up the recordings in advance nor the series recordings.
The generic boxes only have now and next epg.

You can get the Foxsat on flea bay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... r&_sacat=0,
as well as the newer ones.

I also concur about the UPS!
These users thanked the author Crabtree for the post (total 2):
Biggles (Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:05 pm) • limousinlady (Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:06 pm)

PatF

Post by PatF » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:45 pm

You might find reception can be reset later.
This happened so many times to ours after a storm - husband would have to climb the ladder to the dish and ?lbd or whatever it's called. With me using the handset and leaning backwards out the window to report return of reception (or not).

Biggles

Post by Biggles » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:35 pm

elsie wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:41 pm

I ended up buying an APC UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) to protect mine after the second died during a storm. I've now not had any of those problems for over ten years.
Crabtree wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:02 pm
I also concur about the UPS!
Thank you for that Elsie and for your endorsement Crabtree - I've looked at the APS BE550G-FR - 550VA UPS, which also claims "Phone / fax / modem protection", is this comparable with yours? We've had 2 Liveboxes cooked over the years - the last costing us a new PC into the bargain. Any further info would be welcome.

elsie

Post by elsie » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:50 pm

Here I have one of that APC model which protects my Freesat, Sky and TNT satellite receivers, TV, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, Ethernet network switch and AV receiver. I have a smaller UPS for my modem/router and the phone line goes through that and in another room I have another APC UPS protecting my PC and NAS. I've had to replace batteries in various UPS after five or so years but always bought non-APC replacements.

limousinlady

Post by limousinlady » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:04 pm

elsie wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:41 pm
As an aside, have you spoken to your house insurers to see if you can make a claim?
yes, we have spoken to the insurers and we have a Eu.250 excess and not 'a new for old cover', so we are unlikely to get anything from them. We always get up and unplug the orange box but didn't give the sat. boxes a thought.
UpS are on the shopping list.

limousinlady

Post by limousinlady » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:14 pm

PatF wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:45 pm
You might find reception can be reset later.
This happened so many times to ours after a storm - husband would have to climb the ladder to the dish and ?lbd or whatever it's called. With me using the handset and leaning backwards out the window to report return of reception (or not).
Unfortunately, we think they are fried! We cannot fire up the sat.receiver boxes at all and have tried them at a friend's house. The LNB has also blown, so we are hoping that when this is up and running again that we may save the Humax as it is not very old. The old recordings are there but it isn't doing anything else. :(

v12mike

Post by v12mike » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:52 am

Back to the original question, a UK Freesat decoder box has the Freesat channels pre-scanned and assigned to the correct channel numbers, it also has support for MHEG data and the features that it brings (The Freesat EPG, the Freesat subtitles and the BBC red Button). A generic or TNT-Sat or French Freesat box won't have any of those, and a French box will likely reserve all the low channel numbers for the standard French channels.

So if you are mainly watching UK TV, I would recommend that you get a UK Freesat box.
These users thanked the author v12mike for the post:
Simonflys (Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:28 am)

limousinlady

Post by limousinlady » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:40 am

v12mike wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:52 am
Back to the original question, a UK Freesat decoder box has the Freesat channels pre-scanned and assigned to the correct channel numbers, it also has support for MHEG data and the features that it brings (The Freesat EPG, the Freesat subtitles and the BBC red Button). A generic or TNT-Sat or French Freesat box won't have any of those, and a French box will likely reserve all the low channel numbers for the standard French channels.

So if you are mainly watching UK TV, I would recommend that you get a UK Freesat box.

That's the information I was after - thank you.