Re: EURO 2020

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

tim17 wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:46 pm
whyme? wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:01 pm
treiziste wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:12 pm

Ladies footie is definitely on the up in terms of fitness and skill levels. Ladies rugby league is brilliant to watch., total committment.
And probably great fun in the communal bath tub after the game :D
Pure filth. ;)
Why would the ladies have more fun in the communal bath tub after the game than the men?
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Jackie

Post by Jackie »

whyme? wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:01 pm
treiziste wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:12 pm

Ladies footie is definitely on the up in terms of fitness and skill levels. Ladies rugby league is brilliant to watch., total committment.
And probably great fun in the communal bath tub after the game :D
Why would that be then?

Edit - sorry, effectively same question as FFS. :oops:

After the Storm 2

Post by After the Storm 2 »

It’s a bit late for Johnson or anyone else to ask English fans to stop booing, should have been asking for that well before now. England will be fined for that (shows how bad that has got) and for shining a laser pen at a player, neither are good and the booing is ridiculous but I guess you can thank Patel for that, with saying booing is okay for one thing then you can’t expect to them not to boo at everything else they don’t like. I think fireworks went off too in the stadium so that will also be looked at.
Wouldn’t it be nice if the English fans were given a printed sheet with the words and just joined in instead, it’s a jolly tune, the words are a bit dark though :D I shall have mine printed off for Sunday to make a stand against booing 8-) and want the best team on the night to win with just clean good goals and it doesn’t go to penalty play offs.
Lyrics and how to join in with the singing https://www.thelocal.com/20210706/il-ca ... o-sing-it/ :P fair play is more important than winning and the fans can show that from the start.

tim17

Post by tim17 »

It's right that UEFA investigate and charge the English football authorities (if required) for the booing, laser pen etc. However, I wish they'd do the same to other European countries (especially East European) who have for years allowed booing of national anthems and racist abuse to take place in their stadiums, there were problems at all three of Hungary's games in the tournament but UEFA have said very little so far.

treiziste

Post by treiziste »

Remember Tim, it’s not that long ago Welsh fans booed the National Anthem at Wembley v England.

rabbit

Post by rabbit »

treiziste wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:19 am
Remember Tim, it’s not that long ago Welsh fans booed the National Anthem at Wembley v England.
and I have watched Scotland vs England at Murrayfield where the Scots have booed the National Anthem

jsks

Post by jsks »

But don't the English consider part of their world-leading character is a sense of fair play?

Maybe the English opinion of themselves needs a reset?

Whatever, I'll be cheering for England.

I wonder how many Italians will suffer near-fatal injuries when tackled from which they instantly recover?

Plog

Post by Plog »

I understand what you are driving at jsks and to some extent I agree but given what the Danes got up to at time at times in the semi (plenty of gamesmanship/black arts/sneakiness at times, including some subterfuge during the free kick that produced their goal) I’m not sure it’s reasonable to start singling out the England players for lectures about about fair play.

Anyhow give some of the previous comments perhaps some might find this of interest, an open letter from Garett Southgate to all the team..

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts ... ros-soccer

jsks

Post by jsks »

Plog wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:12 pm
I understand what you are driving at jsks and to some extent I agree but given what the Danes got up to at time at times in the semi (plenty of gamesmanship/black arts/sneakiness at times, including some subterfuge during the free kick that produced their goal) I’m not sure it’s reasonable to start singling out the England players for lectures about about fair play.

Anyhow give some of the previous comments perhaps some might find this of interest, an open letter from Garett Southgate to all the team..

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts ... ros-soccer
It wasn't really the players I was referring to. In fact this team is a real credit to its nation.

It's more the press and commentators who seem to have turned a great sporting event into another Little England/anti Foreigner excuse. I know others do this too but don't the English consider themselves the paragon of fairness? Not from reading the papers!

ajm

Post by ajm »

I really hope that Italy win tomorrow - but only at Wimbledon!! :lol:
"If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself."Mae West.