Online food shop.

Where to buy things in France etc.
Spectrum

Re: Online food shop.

Post by Spectrum »

Imported food ;) mainly tinned haggis, Bovril, for the toast :D Pataks curry's, and mushy pea's for DW :roll: any other Uk bits can usually find in some of the bigger supermarkets, also found "Asianmarket.fr" for all Asian ingredients, the proper authentic bits :D

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

curtis wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:31 pm
Just as a matter of interest, what do you order from these English shops. I can't think of anything that I would want.
All I miss now there are no visits possible is my annual trip back when I visited a small domaine where there were pheasants,rabbits, hares, venison, sanglier at VERY reasonable prices. There is only one pheasant and one rabbit left in stock now.
Teabags, Bird's custard powder, Bisto gravy granules, cheap unsweetened cereals, Cross & Blackwell baked beans, Hartley's jellies, Golden syrup, loads of other stuff that I can't remember as I don't do the ordering. We have a fairly local English owned shop that does their own home-produced pork products and imports a small range of UK stuff but that is on hold at the moment while they arrange supply via Ireland. We get Wyke Farms cheddar from Carrefour. The Lipton's yellow label teabags that are freely available here is on a par with cheap French emulsion paint.
Visit historic Barnard Castle. Lockdown day trips now available.

Mangetout

Post by Mangetout »

You'll find all of those items in SuperU, although you might have to substitute the beans for Heinze.

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

The last time I saw Heinz in a supermarket here they were €1.60 a can. I'll pass on paying that for a tin of fart fodder.
Visit historic Barnard Castle. Lockdown day trips now available.

curtis

Post by curtis »

Aardvark wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:10 pm
curtis wrote:
Just as a matter of interest, what do you order from these English shops. I can't think of anything that I would want.
All I miss now there are no visits possible is my annual trip back when I visited a small domaine where there were pheasants,rabbits, hares, venison, sanglier at VERY reasonable prices. There is only one pheasant and one rabbit left in stock now.
Teabags, Bird's custard powder, Bisto gravy granules, cheap unsweetened cereals, Cross & Blackwell baked beans, Hartley's jellies, Golden syrup, loads of other stuff that I can't remember as I don't do the ordering. We have a fairly local English owned shop that does their own home-produced pork products and imports a small range of UK stuff but that is on hold at the moment while they arrange supply via Ireland. We get Wyke Farms cheddar from Carrefour. The Lipton's yellow label teabags that are freely available here is on a par with cheap French emulsion paint.
Good grief.
Drive fast, attract the Police. Drive faster, attract sponsors.

mysty

Post by mysty »

curtis wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:37 pm
Aardvark wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:10 pm
curtis wrote:
Good grief.
There used to be a refrigerated truck that did a French run every couple of weeks. Some families would do a monthly UK shop inc milk. It did work out cheaper than buying in France. The company was not registered in France and did get stopped.
The owners were based here but said they declared in the UK. From memory they did not declare anywhere. ;)
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Teabags I understand.

If your monthly shop delivered could be cheaper and more convenient than battling in Intermarché then I understand that as well.

As for the specific foodstuffs well a decade ago I weaned myself off of any addictive processed foods, there but for the grace of god go I :oops:

Regarding baked beans, when I did eat them I found the supermarket haricots blancs en sauce tomate much tastier and when I looked that the label realised that like many French tinned foods there were only the 2 basic ingredients and none of the salt, sugar and E numbers that create the addiction. I do find that most of the foods that people bring back, and once I was no different, tend to be the highly processed ones, I still have unopened packets of Birds custard etc.

For curries I find Noz very good and it has introduced me to some little known UK exporters like Parampara whose seasoning mixes are superb and can be ordered in France & appear to be stocked by Super-U but we dont have any in my travel radius and I have not found them in others.

exile

Post by exile »

Mangetout wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:55 pm
You'll find all of those items in SuperU, although you might have to substitute the beans for Heinze.
You'll find all of those items at your Super U. Ours stocks none of those items -except unsweetened cereals - Weetabix or Porridge oats only but they do exist.

So far we have existed on our stocks of these goods, but I will admit to "having" to buy Black Bean Sauce and Hoi Sin Sauce on line last quarter.

Sizewell

Post by Sizewell »

We bought Bisto Gravy granules from Amazon France a few months back 2x500gr for €18.99 delivered. A bit expensive but then the French gravy is yuk.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Does it even exist in France in the disgusting chemical form of granules?

Fond de veau is available but it's hardly instant gravy.

If you are cooking meat it's very simple to make a proper sauce and avoid using the muck.