Towel rail programmers

Paddy

Towel rail programmers

Post by Paddy »

I hope someone can offer some guidance. I have Sauter Asma electric towel rail in the shower room. It has a useless programming facility and a similarly, useless thermostat, with the thermostat set to 14° it remains hot when the room is over 20°. It does feature a “Fil pilote” so, I am thinking of installing a separate programmer/thermostat.
From my research I am still not clear whether I can attach any of the makes/types available with a “fil pilote” connector or whether they must be specifically, designed for towel rails or even for towel rails made recently.
I did try Sauter customer support, but they required the serial number. I cannot access this as the manufacturer’s plate is on the back of the unit which is wall mounted and I cannot even get a camera behind to snap a photo.
Anyone with any experience of such things, please?

Mike

Re: Towel rail programmers

Post by Mike »

Use a mirror.

Annabelle's Papa

Post by Annabelle's Papa »

+1 I have a Screwfix towel rail (don't know the real make) that is unprogrammable to anyone with a brain as it defies logic, I just set the thermostat to a pleasant heat setting(19-20c) and leave well alone, daughter has worked out there is a 30 minute boost button , which pumps it up to 26 degrees for 1/2 an hour. It is very economical, so it can stay !
The truth is everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for. Bob Marley

AIIy

Post by AIIy »

I love the thread heading.
It's like the title of an ad in the sits vac aimed at millennials.
Being funny makes you more attractive.
Beauty fades but sarcasm lives forever.

suein56

Post by suein56 »

Paddy wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:41 pm
I hope someone can offer some guidance. I have Sauter Asma electric towel rail in the shower room. It has a useless programming facility and a similarly, useless thermostat, with the thermostat set to 14° it remains hot when the room is over 20°. It does feature a “Fil pilote” so, I am thinking of installing a separate programmer/thermostat.
If the 'fil pilote' was not connected into the system when your towel rail was installed then it won't respond as it should.

Someone who knows more about this will be along soon .. hopefully.
Computing can bring you closer to others - mentally if not physically

RobertArthur

Post by RobertArthur »

@ Paddy, where have all the simple switches gone, those were the days. I had a quick look at the manual of this Sauter towel rail and it looks like that there are two programming facilities on board: with the external support of a so called "fil pilote" signal or on its own using a complicated menu. In the latter case the black fil pilote wire should not be connected to anything: only neutral (blue) and red or brown (phase) connected.

From the Sauter manual these two modes and associated wiring in this snapshot. The black art of programming these programmable devices, the menu steeplechase: I'm afraid the only thing you can do is a trial and error approach. Reminds me of programming video recorders in the past.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

I had to remove all the stupid programmers from the electric UFH in the flats, far too complicated, renters would mess about with them and screw up the settings and worse still they would lose all the programmed settings in a power cut or if someone disconnected the breaker (which they would do in their frustration at not being able to turn the temp down) and switch off leaving no heating or frost protection.

Removal meant lifting the laminate flooring after removing fitted meubles etc to remove the PTC sensor which is only compatible with its thermostat, removing that meant breaking up the ragréage :(

No choice but to do the above but the real problem was finding a simple manual thermostatic controller with floor sensor without any bells & whistles at any price.

Luckily I had just enough in stock from the job lot of bankrupt stock of UFH mats etc that I had bought, they work perfectly and give me no problems but I have no spares and am really concerned for if any of them get broken.

I have a K-rap gloss black glass panneau rayonnant heater in my bedroom, supposedly with an electronic thermostat accurate to 1/10 of a degree which they claim will (wont :( ) save me a fortune in electricity, there is so much hysteresis built in that you set it to 20°c and it only cuts out when the display shows 26° although it feels much hotter in the room and will not cut back in again till it displays 14°c and again feels much colder, a complete chocolate teapot. I have panneau rayonnant here with the more expensive electronic thermostat and they cut in and out very regularly maintaining an even temperature.

Oh and the chocolate teapot also loses all its settings when power is removed and switches itself off.

Progress eh!!!

RobertArthur

Post by RobertArthur »

@ LD, what I do like about these old fashioned grilles pains is the mechanical on / off switch. The modern eco friendly electric heaters have a tendency to be always a little bit "on"', pour un meilleur confort. The promise is: down with your electricity bill, in reality this is une promesse non tenue.

whyme?

Post by whyme? »

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:26 pm
I had to remove all the stupid programmers from the electric UFH in the flats, far too complicated, renters would mess about with them and screw up the settings and worse still they would lose all the programmed settings in a power cut or if someone disconnected the breaker (which they would do in their frustration at not being able to turn the temp down) and switch off leaving no heating or frost protection.

Removal meant lifting the laminate flooring after removing fitted meubles etc to remove the PTC sensor which is only compatible with its thermostat, removing that meant breaking up the ragréage :(

No choice but to do the above but the real problem was finding a simple manual thermostatic controller with floor sensor without any bells & whistles at any price.

Luckily I had just enough in stock from the job lot of bankrupt stock of UFH mats etc that I had bought, they work perfectly and give me no problems but I have no spares and am really concerned for if any of them get broken.

Who was it that fitted the "stupid programmers"?