Liver & bacon

A place to discuss food, share your recipes and drink choices/recommendations.
Lemorvan

Re: Liver & bacon

Post by Lemorvan »

TriciaF wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:24 pm
We're Jewish and try to keep kosher. The difficulty with liver is that it's full of blood and one of the laws is not to eat the blood of animals.
We used to keep and eat our own chickens - for most of it, and other meat, you soak it in coarse salt to draw out the blood then rinse thoroughly. For chicken livers you need to suspend them under a grill and let the blood drip out. So the livers are already slightly cooked when you start to prepare the pate. Then you mince them. And mix with onions fried in chicken fat and a little red wine. So quite a palaver.
Hi Tricia, it's why I wrote "They treat and prep it differently according to kosher regs but in the end it's no different to anywhere else." I know many a Jewish housewife that can "discuss these things at such length"

TriciaF

Post by TriciaF »

Salting meat - I've never gone as far as making salt/pickled beef but found that salting does tenderise beef. i think there's a chemical explanation for this.
In France british people often complained that french beef was tough. Something to do with the length of time it's hung before sale.
Nifty - no bacon, but miss it from the days before we kept kosher.
And Lemorvan - about 2 livers in chicken. The fresh liver taken from a chicken often seems to have 2 lobes, and the heart very closely attached.

Lemorvan

Post by Lemorvan »

I used to love salt beef sandwiches from the Jewish shops in Prestwich and Broughton in Manchester. Salting beef breaks down the proteins making it tender.

Franksgranny

Post by Franksgranny »

Lemorvan wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:34 pm
I used to love salt beef sandwiches from the Jewish shops in Prestwich and Broughton in Manchester. Salting beef breaks down the proteins making it tender.
Yes likewise, when my daughter worked in London there was a great salt beef bagel place down there, probably closed down now, until my dad died of COVID when I visited I used to buy my bagels from that shop, it was on TV a few years ago, I think it was called Sunshine bakery, but that might not be it, it was on the corner going up towards Cheetham Hill.
Also would like to thank all contributors to this thread, who would have thought so many people had an opinion on such a subject, it has greatly interested me, I’ve refrained from contributing as it’s mostly all been said.

bubbles1

Post by bubbles1 »

Okay - I think the original question was about liver and bacon - my Dad used to cook it in the over very slowly. He used lambs liver or beef. If it was beef he soaked it in milk for a while. Put it in the oven with bacon on top and onions underneath with a bit of lard - served with mashed pots - yummy. I use beef liver to cook this way but soak it in milk first - chicken/rabbit/veal should not be cooked this way, as the flavour is so delicate and they need virtually no cooking at all. All other livers are brilliant in all sorts of way but not like this. Pigs liver always tastes of wee - I wount give it to a dog. But that it just my taste.
The truth is always the truth even if no-one believes it - a lie is always a lie even if everyone believes it

manonthemoon2

Post by manonthemoon2 »

We used to use only lambs liver, cut out all the pipes first then dipped in seasoned flour, fried with onions which usually had to be cooked first, as the liver only took a minute. Also added smoked bacon.

It's making my mouth water as I think of it.

Haven't had it for years.

suein56

Post by suein56 »

My OH cooks liver in an onion gravy .. he uses 'foie de génisse' as it is excellent and a fraction of the price of lamb or veal liver.
Computing can bring you closer to others - mentally if not physically