Travel restrictions from UK to EU

A place to discuss and ask questions about moving to France.
Or moving from one region of France to another
Le Démerdeur

Re: Travel restrictions from UK to EU

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Probably easier than becoming a footballer.

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt »

Just a thought - is the CdS the only document accepted?

What about residents of neighbouring countries who won't have a Cds but will have an equivalent. Travelling through France to a neighbouring EU (Schengen) country is still permitted under the rules as I read them.

Lapourtaider

Post by Lapourtaider »

Crystal wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:40 am
Lapourtaider wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:07 am
Crystal wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:05 am
Yes, it seems only a CdS will get you into France at the moment. My daughter's friend who was refused entry on Monday was told, "no CdS = no entry"
Was that in France or before boarding transport to France?
At the UK port.

He said he parked up to make phone calls... and during that time he didn't see anyone allowed through.

update : he has since made an application for his CdS and has his attestation, so we'll see what happens tomorrow.
It would be interesting to see what would have happened had he travelled by ferry from a uk port where there aren't French customs, like Portsmouth. Would he have got on the ferry or would he have been put back on it in France? We'll never know of course!

Plog

Post by Plog »

Lapourtaider wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:43 am
It would be interesting to see what would have happened had he travelled by ferry from a uk port where there aren't French customs, like Portsmouth. Would he have got on the ferry or would he have been put back on it in France? We'll never know of course!
Presumably it would be like the airports/airlines where there's no pre-clearance for flights UK>France.

The onus is on the operator's staff to ensure the correct documentation prior to boarding. If somebody gets as far as France and is then gets deemed inadmissible they get repatriated to the UK at the operators expense. The individual and/or the airline may also get clobbered with a fine.

Lapourtaider

Post by Lapourtaider »

I was thinking more along the lines that it was easy for a French fonc on the uk side to say non, but would have been potentially more consequential for the same response once on French soil.

Plog

Post by Plog »

Lapourtaider wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:45 pm
I was thinking more along the lines that it was easy for a French fonc on the uk side to say non, but would have been potentially more consequential for the same response once on French soil.
Possibly but I gather from a couple of reports I've heard recently that at least some French Border police have absolutely zero difficulty saying "non" even when on French soil if the operator stuffs up and transported somebody to France who has had inadequate or non-compliant paperwork...

Catrose

Post by Catrose »

Isn’t it the transporter’ responsibility to make sure they only transport legal passengers?

Loiseau

Post by Loiseau »

Lapourtaider wrote:
It would be interesting to see what would have happened had he travelled by ferry from a uk port where there aren't French customs, like Portsmouth...
But there aren't French immigration people at Portsmouth, are there? Only at Folkestone for the Shuttle (and St Pancras for Eurostar).

I think the carrier has to do the checking before they accept you for the crossing. You wouldn't want to have been checked in for a crossing that you then weren't allowed to take. (Presumably at the Shuttle you are now screened before being allowed through the check in?)

Lapourtaider

Post by Lapourtaider »

Loiseau wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:57 pm
Lapourtaider wrote:
It would be interesting to see what would have happened had he travelled by ferry from a uk port where there aren't French customs, like Portsmouth...
But there aren't French immigration people at Portsmouth, are there?
Absolutely not, that was my point.

Loiseau

Post by Loiseau »

Dohhhhh. Misread your post - désolée