Scam emails - again

Computers, Internet & Broadband, IT issues, Phones & Mobiles and televisions.
ajm

Scam emails - again

Post by ajm »

Sorry to bring this up. Following a previous query I worked out ( thanks to Elsie?) how to block unwanted emails in my Orange system. I have recently been getting loads of spam from mainly 2 sources (registration@facebookmail.com and news@lesservicedesastuces.fr). Both of these are on my blocked list but get through somehow. Any ideas?
If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself. Mae West.

JohnnyD

Re: Scam emails - again

Post by JohnnyD »

ajm wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:59 am
Sorry to bring this up. Following a previous query I worked out ( thanks to Elsie?) how to block unwanted emails in my Orange system. I have recently been getting loads of spam from mainly 2 sources (registration@facebookmail.com and news@lesservicedesastuces.fr). Both of these are on my blocked list but get through somehow. Any ideas?
Those addresses may not be the actual addresses the spam has come from, you need to look at the header information to see the actual senders address, the addresses you see could be spoofed addresses, and the actual addresses tend to change all the time to get round this way of blocking spam, hence why it’s hard to block spam ......

ajm

Post by ajm »

JohnnyD wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:07 am
ajm wrote:
Those addresses may not be the actual addresses the spam has come from, you need to look at the header information to see the actual senders address, the addresses you see could be spoofed addresses, and the actual addresses tend to change all the time to get round this way of blocking spam, hence why it’s hard to block spam ......
Thanks for that JD. There is another address in the header which is also on the list. I assume this increase in traffic is a result of the banning of cold calls.
I'd rather delete spam than be hassled with cold calls
If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself. Mae West.

suein56

Post by suein56 »

ajm wrote:
Have you tried resetting your preferences in your Facebook account i.e. unsubscribing from advertising emails ?
Quote : Select Settings & Privacy, then click Settings. Click Notifications on the left. Scroll down and select Email. From here, you can adjust how often you receive email notifications and what you get email notifications about.
Ditto unsubscribing from le service des astuces : http://www.leservicedesastuces.fr/?page=unsubscribe
Computing can bring you closer to others - mentally if not physically

ajm

Post by ajm »

Haven't got a Facebook account so can't do that but thanks for the link to les astuces - I have unsubscribed.

JohnnyD

Post by JohnnyD »

Is it legitimate email from facebook, or spam faking their address? IE orange.fr will probably have facebook whitelisted so no legitimate messages can be blocked, even if you have filters in place, its sometimes done on a points basis, something like -100 for a whitelisted address, you adding a block to an address might add a score of 10 to it, its still -90 so will be delivered, I filter spam out at MTA level at +5 and reject at +12 ish for example.

suein56

Post by suein56 »

ajm wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:06 am
Haven't got a Facebook account so can't do that but thanks for the link to les astuces - I have unsubscribed.
Ah .. it seems facebookmail.com is a phishing account and is difficult to block as, as JD says, it covers the sender's real email account.
Hopefully if you raise your spam filtering levels it might just do the trick eventually.
Computing can bring you closer to others - mentally if not physically