Would This Happen In The UK?

Questions about where to look for property.
The buying process etc.
After the Storm 2

Re: Would This Happen In The UK?

Post by After the Storm 2 »

rabbit wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:56 pm
When we bought our first house in France we signed the Acte and the sellers requested that they stay in the house for an extra two weeks as they hadn’t finished packing! When I objected with the agent and the notaire we were accused of being unreasonable and did we want to throw a family into the streets. We acceded and it cost us an extra two weeks rent
When we bought our first house here which was owned by a farmer, he told us after the papers were all signed that there were a couple of young cows still on our bit of land/garden and he’d be back later for them, we of course said no problem. Two months later he finally took them away, along with the fence :P .

After the Storm 2

Post by After the Storm 2 »

tim17 wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:26 pm
I still have all the keys as I'm going to meet the buyers tomorrow (the agent doesn't work on a Saturday afternoon), in addition there is no absolute certainty that they'll be able to travel through France on the premise that they're signing for a house on Monday so if they couldn't come that would be the best outcome for us.

As an aside the sellers had already been asked if they would allow the buyers to take possession before the signing and they refused which we didn't find out until this afternoon. On the flip side though there is a minor but non-disclosed issue with the pool which the sellers are refusing to rectify.
So if it goes wrong, it would be you that gave the keys over..... :|
Do the sellers think the keys have been given over to the notaire?

tim17

Post by tim17 »

After the Storm 2 wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:32 pm
tim17 wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:26 pm
I still have all the keys as I'm going to meet the buyers tomorrow (the agent doesn't work on a Saturday afternoon), in addition there is no absolute certainty that they'll be able to travel through France on the premise that they're signing for a house on Monday so if they couldn't come that would be the best outcome for us.

As an aside the sellers had already been asked if they would allow the buyers to take possession before the signing and they refused which we didn't find out until this afternoon. On the flip side though there is a minor but non-disclosed issue with the pool which the sellers are refusing to rectify.
So if it goes wrong, it would be you that gave the keys over..... :|
Do the sellers think the keys have been given over to the notaire?
Basically yes although I will keep a set, the sellers assume everything's gone through which is what the agent has told them.

tim17

Post by tim17 »

The buyers arrived last night and I handed over one set of keys, they are here for a week as it is school holidays in Belgium. I'm not expecting any problems with the signing tomorrow but will breathe a sigh of relief once the agent tells me everything has gone through, I would not want to experience this again.

Mangetout

Post by Mangetout »

I would give the keys to the Notaire. What they do with them is their responsibility. We had a similar situation when our UK sale was finalised. We allowed the new owners to move in 4 days before the sale was finalised. All went well, but we had met the new buyers many times and trusted them.

tim17

Post by tim17 »

Mangetout wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:29 pm
I would give the keys to the Notaire. What they do with them is their responsibility. We had a similar situation when our UK sale was finalised. We allowed the new owners to move in 4 days before the sale was finalised. All went well, but we had met the new buyers many times and trusted them.
We are now working for the buyers so need a set of keys, if hadn't been for that we wouldn't have reluctantly played ball with the deception but we'd never do this again, we've seen a side to the agent that is quite scary which just goes to show that you should never underestimate what some people will do for money.