Fixing through stone wall

PF17472

Fixing through stone wall

Post by PF17472 »

I need to fix a timber 75x200 Douglas to outside of our barn wall to support the roof for an Abri as a pool shelter. Thinking that best to actually drill right through and use threaded rod, bolts and washers, but not sure what to use inside the barn, obviously need some sort of metal plate. Wondering I’d anything is available off the shelf for this sort of thing? Wall is around 500mm 18” in old money. And will be fixing approx 8.5 metres in length...

michael86

Re: Fixing through stone wall

Post by michael86 »

Hi PF17472,

I had to fix a 150 litre chauffe-eau to the stone wall in our cellar. The weight was getting on for 200kg when full of water. I used threaded rod and chemical fixings (Fischer FIS V Hybrid Mortar Resin). It's available from Screwfix, but if you Google it you'll find other suppliers. I didn't want to use expansion bolts as they would probably split the stone when they expand.

Michael

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Not so good for stone walls where the centre is likely to be loose rubble and the OP wants to fix "through" rather than "fix to" which is a wise precaution.

There are dedicated items that the OP is looking for, often decorative when used on the outside but I'm blowed if I can recall the name or even that of the tie system that uses them, they are probably called rosace de.......... usually round castings or X shaped forgings.

Tom

Post by Tom »

:) You could use a timber beam inside your barn as well and just buy double the number of nuts and washers.
God in his wisdom made the fly
And then forgot to tell us why.
—Ogden Nash

Polarengineer

Post by Polarengineer »

I used Simpson Strong tie AT_HP which is French made tube of 2 component resin cement. It is noticable with a nozzle which has an internal static mixer. It is simple to use, just drill the hole, suck it clean from dust and squeeze it in, then shove in a length of threaded tie bolt. Drilling stonework exactly where you need the hole is not easy and the drill may wander, so give the wood a good clearance hole and don't be afraid to bend the stud if it is not in straight, use large plate washers.
Edit..... You do not need to drill through the wall, with M12 studding I drilled about 200mm, once the cement has set, the studs will neve come out. Note also that the forces on the studs will be in shear with the weight of the roof and not tending to pull out of the wall.
Attachments
IMG_0572.JPG
IMG_0571.JPG
Absolute-ly..I have become comfortably numb (with ice it's nice)

SP1DER

Post by SP1DER »

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:01 pm
Not so good for stone walls where the centre is likely to be loose rubble and the OP wants to fix "through" rather than "fix to" which is a wise precaution.

There are dedicated items that the OP is looking for, often decorative when used on the outside but I'm blowed if I can recall the name or even that of the tie system that uses them, they are probably called rosace de.......... usually round castings or X shaped forgings.
Clés de tirants perhaps?

https://www.zabarno.com/65-cles-de-tirants-chainage

Tom

Post by Tom »

:good: Clés de tirants as Sp1der rightly says but they are rather difficult to find, 'rustic' and expensive...

http://croixdechainage.e-monsite.com/
God in his wisdom made the fly
And then forgot to tell us why.
—Ogden Nash

bluebird

Post by bluebird »

michael86 wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:31 pm
Hi PF17472,

I had to fix a 150 litre chauffe-eau to the stone wall in our cellar. The weight was getting on for 200kg when full of water. I used threaded rod and chemical fixings (Fischer FIS V Hybrid Mortar Resin). It's available from Screwfix, but if you Google it you'll find other suppliers. I didn't want to use expansion bolts as they would probably split the stone when they expand.

Michael
Yes, Fischer FIS V Hybrid Mortar Resin, good stuff, sold in Brico Pro and probably Leroy Merlin. I think I paid about 12 Euro a tube and fixed M18 threaded bar with it. Sets quite rapidly in warm weather. As you say, much better than expansion bolts with the unpredictable French stone being prone to fracturing.
If opting to bolt through stone, I would want to spread the load considerably, A decent size steel plate or flat bar that spreads the compression load (over more than the stone with drilled hole if possible), then an oversize washer, spring washer and nut.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Sorry bluebird as Polar has said above the major loading is in shear there will be a small amount of compression on the stone from the fixing and tension in the fixings itself, but comparatively negligible and not worthy of calculation, there will also be a certain amount of turning moment, but that will be compensated for by the weight of the wall above the lean too and the roof holding the stone in position.