Narrow beam spot light

Squinch

Re: Narrow beam spot light

Post by Squinch »

Yes, I do need to be careful they are not to bright - dimmable is perhaps the way to go.
They are for ceiling/beam mounted fittings that will be directed to only illuminate two paintings and I am trying to avoid an obvious halo extending beyond the picture itself, hence the need for a narrow focused beam and some trigonometry calculations once I know the beam angles I can get.

RobertArthur

Post by RobertArthur »

Squinch, how to dim leds, sometimes something of a black art in combination with a bit of luck. Not all leds are made equal, the same for dimmers. My almost classic reading stuff for 12 volt leds is this excellent article, if I remember well from 2014, about 12 volt leds and transformers/power supplies. I've carried out some testing in the past with 230 volt leds, not always an easy cohabitation between lights and dimmers. Make sure they mention "dimmable" on the package, that's step #1. Step #2: selection of the appropriate dimmer. For more links see this French discussion, an example of the many problems encountered in real life. A bright new low-power dimmable future, for everybody and the planet, not always, promises, promises.....

Squinch

Post by Squinch »

Thanks again, some interesting reading.
I always try to opt for 230v rather than 12v unless forced.
I have an aversion to transformers having experienced several overheating. Mainly things like Christmas tree lights but some general lighting installations.
With 230 I feel that there are fewer things to go wrong as long as I install it correctly. Just my personal opinion and experiences.