Wasps

Ask questions about buying, installing and maintaining a swimming pool/pond in France.
Ally

Re: Wasps

Post by Ally »

manonthemoon wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:16 pm
Ally wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:57 pm
"DAD! ,There's a wasp's nest in the garden."
"I'm busy, f*** the wasp's nest!"
"Duh! OK then."
OMG! His fetish is rather a limp one 😂😂😂
It brings new meaning to riding a bike.
Gone to better place, which, quite frankly, could be anywhere.

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

Ally wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:17 pm
FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:12 pm
Ally wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:57 pm
"DAD! ,There's a wasp's nest in the garden."
"I'm busy, f*** the wasp's nest!"
"Duh! OK then."
I bet he felt a right prick.
Not for a few weeks I reckon.
When I saw you'd replied, I thought you were going to say, "and then a left one, then one in the middle, and then over 597 other ones". How on earth did they count all the stings, I wonder? By counting the dead bees?
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Annabelle's Papa

Post by Annabelle's Papa »

Annabelle's Papa wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:01 am
We leave a float or a woggle/noodle in the pool, with the movement of the water the wasps will eventually bump into it, giving them a chance to get out, I also stick the woggle/noodle (looks like foam pipe insulation) partly into the filter box and the rest on the pool surface, you will be amazed how much debris is guided into the filter.
I thought Manonthemoon re-requested solutions to his problem and not jokes, now has joined the circus :roll:
The truth is everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for. Bob Marley

Gardengirl

Post by Gardengirl »

Loiseau wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:27 am
Here are some pièges à guêpes on French Amazon
https://www.amazon.fr/piege-a-guepes/s?k=piege+a+guepes

When I was a child, we used to make wasp traps from old jam jars. Put a little jam mixed with a splash of water in the bottom, and cover with - today - tinfoil or cling film then punch one or two holes in the top with a pencil.
I have a number of wasp traps hung near our house and in the apple trees by the path, seem to attract a lot of them, but judging how many I saw going in and out of the nest yesterday, it must be a tiny fraction. But better to catch some than leaving them free to fly near where I walk most often.

Gardengirl

Post by Gardengirl »

The young man stung by wasps when he came to treat the nest in our roof yesterday was taken straight in to a treatment room on booking in at A&E and given what I assume was anaphylaxis treatment and allowed home when the swelling in his face was going down, with a prescription for 2 epipens.

He was apparently given a strict warning by medical staff about not having a cavalier attitude - if he thinks it’s too hot to wear his protective suit at any time in the future, he was told not to treat wasp nests, but to leave them for another day.

His father, who told me on the phone that he had driven his son to hospital; he had told his dad that I’d warned him about the effects of cumulative stings, but had no idea that it could happen like that. He had given his son a talking to on the way home, where mum and gran also weighed in on how daft he’d been and what a fright he’d given them.

I think he’ll be wearing his protective suit in future.

manonthemoon

Post by manonthemoon »

Annabelle's Papa wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:06 pm
Annabelle's Papa wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:01 am
We leave a float or a woggle/noodle in the pool, with the movement of the water the wasps will eventually bump into it, giving them a chance to get out, I also stick the woggle/noodle (looks like foam pipe insulation) partly into the filter box and the rest on the pool surface, you will be amazed how much debris is guided into the filter.
I thought Manonthemoon re-requested solutions to his problem and not jokes, now has joined the circus :roll:
Yes, help but couldn't resist when needs must 😁😁😁

SW31girl

Post by SW31girl »

Back to subject...

We have the same problem with wasps in the pool this year. Normally it’s not much of a problem but there does seem to be a lot more wasps this year.

I have several solar water fountains and I’m going to put another one out near the pool. I’m hoping it will draw the wasps away from the pool.

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett

Annabelle's Papa

Post by Annabelle's Papa »

SW31girl wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:11 pm
Back to subject...

We have the same problem with wasps in the pool this year. Normally it’s not much of a problem but there does seem to be a lot more wasps this year.

I have several solar water fountains and I’m going to put another one out near the pool. I’m hoping it will draw the wasps away from the pool.
I have heard that clear plastic bags full of water hung around a pool keep most insects away as their reflection scares them.
The truth is everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for. Bob Marley

Crystal

Post by Crystal »

I've tried that - it doesn't!
We also have far more wasps than usual this year, I thought they were after my strawberries, but they seem to be spending their day circling the outside water tap, which I don't understand because they aren't interested in grandson's paddling pool which is just 5 metres away. I spent ages today watching them to see if I could locate their nest, but so far I haven't found it. :roll:

Gardengirl

Post by Gardengirl »

What a pity you can’t spot the nest - I was so glad that ours could be dealt with the same day, £60 well spent.