Wasps

Ask questions about buying, installing and maintaining a swimming pool/pond in France.
Gardengirl

Re: Wasps

Post by Gardengirl »

Sorry, manonthemoon, I have no helpful suggestions to make, but a cautionary tale about wasps that happened today, so very topical. By the way, our bird bath is a great favourite of wasps, with quite a few partaking, particularly from early evening when the sun moves away from our garden, when it can get a but crowded.

I’m allergic to wasp stings, had little problem from the first few stings I had, but it built up from there quickly, so I don’t do anything around this time of year until about the end of September without having my epipen with me. I keep a watch out for wasps near the house too, as we seem to have wasps nests almost every year and have to get a pest control company in to deal with them. Last year it was hornets, which I thought would be more dangerous, but was told that they aren’t, as Doug has said.

I phoned the usual family run company this morning, having discovered masses of wasps at roof level yesterday, and a young man arrived just before lunch to deal with it, although I’d been told to expect him at about 14h. We discussed being allergic to their stings while we walked round to the nest site and he said he has a minor reaction to stings. I warned him that they could increase in intensity with each sting, but he said he was fine as he takes an antihistamine each day in summer; I responded that I have rhinitis all year round and take an antihistamine all year round too, but still have a bad reaction to their stings.

I went indoors, he got his ladder and climbed onto the flat garage roof to deal with the nest using a spray, and shortly afterwards there was a shout and a loud noise - he hadn’t put his protective outfit on because it was so hot today (34C) had been stung, so jumped off the flat roof. I offered him vinegar, but he said it was fine.

Off he went, and later I had a call from the company saying that they were ringing round all the afternoon bookings as there had been a problem and our nest couldn't be dealt with today - great apologies, particularly as I’m allergic to stings. I explained that he had already been and hoped that his sting he’d had here hadn’t bothered him. It was his gran on the phone and she got a bit upset because he was down at A&E as he’d had a bad reaction, with his face and hand swelling up.

There were no more wasps to be seen, and gran or the man’s parents are going to ring me tomorrow to let me know how he is.

If anyone else has had minor reactions to wasp stings do bear in mind that the reaction can get much worse - I think my first 2 or 3 didn’t amount to much, but from then on it has been pretty nasty, involving needing medical attention.

Loiseau

Post by Loiseau »

Here are some pièges à guêpes on French Amazon
https://www.amazon.fr/piege-a-guepes/s?k=piege+a+guepes

When I was a child, we used to make wasp traps from old jam jars. Put a little jam mixed with a splash of water in the bottom, and cover with - today - tinfoil or cling film then punch one or two holes in the top with a pencil.

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Use the diving board instead of the Roman steps? 8-)
By the time enough people realise they have been brainwashed it is too late to do anything about it.

manonthemoon

Post by manonthemoon »

Gardengirl wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:28 am
Sorry, manonthemoon, I have no helpful suggestions to make, but a cautionary tale about wasps that happened today, so very topical. By the way, our bird bath is a great favourite of wasps, with quite a few partaking, particularly from early evening when the sun moves away from our garden, when it can get a but crowded.

I’m allergic to wasp stings, had little problem from the first few stings I had, but it built up from there quickly, so I don’t do anything around this time of year until about the end of September without having my epipen with me. I keep a watch out for wasps near the house too, as we seem to have wasps nests almost every year and have to get a pest control company in to deal with them. Last year it was hornets, which I thought would be more dangerous, but was told that they aren’t, as Doug has said.

I phoned the usual family run company this morning, having discovered masses of wasps at roof level yesterday, and a young man arrived just before lunch to deal with it, although I’d been told to expect him at about 14h. We discussed being allergic to their stings while we walked round to the nest site and he said he has a minor reaction to stings. I warned him that they could increase in intensity with each sting, but he said he was fine as he takes an antihistamine each day in summer; I responded that I have rhinitis all year round and take an antihistamine all year round too, but still have a bad reaction to their stings.

I went indoors, he got his ladder and climbed onto the flat garage roof to deal with the nest using a spray, and shortly afterwards there was a shout and a loud noise - he hadn’t put his protective outfit on because it was so hot today (34C) had been stung, so jumped off the flat roof. I offered him vinegar, but he said it was fine.

Off he went, and later I had a call from the company saying that they were ringing round all the afternoon bookings as there had been a problem and our nest couldn't be dealt with today - great apologies, particularly as I’m allergic to stings. I explained that he had already been and hoped that his sting he’d had here hadn’t bothered him. It was his gran on the phone and she got a bit upset because he was down at A&E as he’d had a bad reaction, with his face and hand swelling up.

There were no more wasps to be seen, and gran or the man’s parents are going to ring me tomorrow to let me know how he is.

If anyone else has had minor reactions to wasp stings do bear in mind that the reaction can get much worse - I think my first 2 or 3 didn’t amount to much, but from then on it has been pretty nasty, involving needing medical attention.
Sorry you have such a bad reaction GG, and hope for the rest of this year at least you remain sting free. Hope the wasp catcher is ok too.

Ally

Post by Ally »

Doug wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:37 am
Ally wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:50 pm
Wasp sting ... mild to medium irritation (for me, at least)
Frelon sting ... Holy f%#{ing ba$#@&ds.***
Both wasp and bee stings can be dangerous to some people, even killing those who are very alergic so its no laughing matter being infested with either, saying nothing about hornets which are insects from hell but rarely attack.
The old addage vinegar for wasps, bicarb for bees works well when stung, just soak a tissue in the stuff and hold it onto the sting. We have thousands of wood wasps (smaller than usual wasps) nesting all around the house each being small as they dont make the huge one as large ones do, they are visious attacking when you get near.
*** About as distant from laughing as you can get.
Gone to better place, which, quite frankly, could be anywhere.

Annabelle's Papa

Post by Annabelle's Papa »

We leave a float or a woggle/noodle in the pool, with the movement of the water the wasps will eventually bump into it, giving them a chance to get out, I also stick the woggle/noodle (looks like foam pipe insulation) partly into the filter box and the rest on the pool surface, you will be amazed how much debris is guided into the filter.
The truth is everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for. Bob Marley

Ally

Post by Ally »

"DAD! ,There's a wasp's nest in the garden."
"I'm busy, f*** the wasp's nest!"
"Duh! OK then."
IMG_20200801_155035.jpg

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

Ally wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:57 pm
"Duh! OK then."
I bet he felt a right prick.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

manonthemoon

Post by manonthemoon »

Ally wrote:
"Duh! OK then."
OMG! His fetish is rather a limp one 😂😂😂

Ally

Post by Ally »

FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:12 pm
Ally wrote:
"Duh! OK then."
I bet he felt a right prick.
Not for a few weeks I reckon.