Anti-Brexiteers will like this.

A place for some light-hearted chat.
Nifty

Re: Anti-Brexiteers will like this.

Post by Nifty »

They will always love and believe this ?

exile

Post by exile »

Well I could well believe that there is a group that this could describe even if the specifics are made up.

These are the people who believed that they could move to France but not register with any of the authorities.
These are the people who thought that having moved they did not need to fill out a French tax form let alone pay any tax here.
These are the people that believe you can drive your UK registered car here for years having SORN'd it in the UK.
These are the people that believed that Brexit meant the UK would leave the EU but that is all that would happen. There would be no other changes or consequences. Everything would stay the same except that £350m per week would be saved by the UK government.

Catrose

Post by Catrose »

But if they are holiday homes what is the issue? They will still own them, they can still have holidays in them for 3 months and if they want to stay longer they will just have to apply for a visa.

And if one day they want to retire here that will still be possible for most people as long as they jump through a few hoops and have enough money - which is not that different an amount from UK state pension.

The loss of freedom of movement for working people is much, much more serious.

Nifty

Post by Nifty »

So, at last, at the end of the rainbow, It’s Rich Man’s World ?
Cue ABBA cad abra infinitum.

Jackie

Post by Jackie »

Am following this thread on twitter now - comedy gold!

lindal1000

Post by lindal1000 »

Catrose wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:56 am
But if they are holiday homes what is the issue? They will still own them, they can still have holidays in them for 3 months and if they want to stay longer they will just have to apply for a visa.

And if one day they want to retire here that will still be possible for most people as long as they jump through a few hoops and have enough money - which is not that different an amount from UK state pension.

For a couple the income requirements is 2340 euros per month plus private health insurance for the length of the visa plus adequate savings. I don't know many people on just a state pension that would qualify.

SP1DER

Post by SP1DER »

Wow couple of great new words for me "denouement" from Elizabeth and "manipullsted" from Nifty (perhaps the latter was in error).

exile

Post by exile »

Catrose wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:56 am

…………………………………………………………………..

What is the issue?
Many of the second home owners here - and not just Brits - come for between 4 - 6 months during the summer. All the Brits I know voted against Brexit so they feel very aggrieved.

I do agree that the lack of freedom of movement is a bigger issue. Almost all of my UK friends and colleagues in Germany now have German citizenship to get around the problems - which are many if you work for an international company. Of course the denial of opportunity to young people is also a major issue.

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

"All the Brits I know voted against Brexit so they feel very aggrieved."

Even more aggrieved are the people who were not allowed to vote, and then could do nothing but watch the exchange rate drop against the Euro. I read somewhere the UK state pension is one of the lowest in Europe. That coupled with the naff exchange rate doesn't tend to make one well disposed to staunch Leaver bullshit.