Strange caterpillars

A place for some light-hearted chat.
manonthemoon

Re: Strange caterpillars

Post by manonthemoon »

Well, this morning I cleared out the particular drawer with goods I haven't used for a while. Out flew the moths and the caterpillars started wriggling. YUK

So I threw everything away, I've sprayed the drawer with an insect repellant and I'm going to hoover out all the dead creatures before I bleach the drawer.

Thanks so much, in future I will make sure all dry goods are always kept in a container or does this still happen?

:?: :?: :?: :?:

Mrs Archy

Post by Mrs Archy »

Sorry to hear about the problem and hopefully you have ended it - it would freak me out. I've not had that problem (yet) but I do keep everything in glass storage jars ie flour, rice, pasta, sugar, coffee beans, tea bags, dried herbs basically anything that comes in a box or bag is tipped into a jar and stored in the cupboard so hopefully that helps keep any little critters out.
‘The brightest flame casts the darkest shadows’

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt »

PatF

Post by PatF »

I was going to say pantry moth caterpillars too - we had them every year. They also go for dried beans, lentils, that kind of thing. and dried fruit.
Eventualyl put anything like that in plastic containers with firm lids.
I haven't seen them here - yet. The climate is getting warmer and damper even here.

Catrose

Post by Catrose »

I had them arrive in a packet of rice I bought.... looked fine when I bought it, but a week later it was crawling and I hadn’t even opened it.

suein56

Post by suein56 »

niemeyjt wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:26 am
Other useful advice:

https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-get-ri ... hs-1389063
In the light of this link from nimmy and from snippets gleaned from other posters this morning I re-visited the affected drawer I cleaned out last night and looked very carefully in nooks and crannies of packets I thought I had inspected/cleaned ..
Result .. more packets thrown away and pristine stuff transferred to more secure packaging.
Fingers crossed that is it .. we'll soon find out.

So, thanks everyone for all your helpful input.
Computing can bring you closer to others - mentally if not physically

Gardengirl

Post by Gardengirl »

Catrose wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:05 pm
I had them arrive in a packet of rice I bought.... looked fine when I bought it, but a week later it was crawling and I hadn’t even opened it.
I hope you returned the offending packet if you could remember where you bought it and live close enough to bother. Plenty of other poor souls will be buying similar packets from that shop and throwing them out when the nasties are found - the producers are on to a good thing, or maybe it’s poor stock rotation by the shop.

I had those pantry moths years ago and since then have used glass, or more recently, Lakeland plastic pots - with arthritis etc it’s better not to use too much glass storage. Wine bottles and glasses won’t be replaced by plastic though! 😄

manonthemoon

Post by manonthemoon »

Today I went through all cupboards and drawers with dry goods. Fortunately no further problems except 3 dead moths in the infested drawer.

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

Just goes to show that even the most innocuous-looking topic here is sometimes worth reading - haven't got a problem with them, but if it ever happens, I'll know where to look first!
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Catrose

Post by Catrose »

Gardengirl wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:29 pm

I hope you returned the offending packet if you could remember where you bought it and live close enough to bother. Plenty of other poor souls will be buying similar packets from that shop and throwing them out when the nasties are found - the producers are on to a good thing, or maybe it’s poor stock rotation by the shop.
My husband’s is manic for consumer rights...I think our local supermarket probably use his photo for a darts board. He checks the till receipt before we leave and 5 times out of 10 there is a mistake, he returns corked wine, marches up to the info desk if he finds things past their sell by date, he writes letters to the manager about fake “promos”. Admittedly most mistakes are a few centimes, but he reckons that if every customer overpays by a centime then that a pretty good extra for the shop. But hey ho, it’s good to have a hobby!