Buying a second hand car as a non French resident.

C Pres

Buying a second hand car as a non French resident.

Post by C Pres »

Is it possible to buy a car in France if you are a UK resident with a property in France? I have been unable to sign up to ANTS and are confused as to obtaining the Grey Card once I have bought the car.

niemeyjt

Re: Buying a second hand car as a non French resident.

Post by niemeyjt »

I am having fun along same lines albeit registering my late father's car in my name rather than buying new.

https://www.french-property.com/guides/ ... n-process/ has some information and a link to an agent. The ANTS site itself is reputed to be a BOSWBO and an agent is recommended. They may be able to help.

One other idea - have you ever worked in France and paid taxes? I have just popped down to local Tresor office and found my old number from many years ago and updated the address and am about to use that.

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Your best and quickest option would be to approach one of the registration agents as mentioned in the link above. Nominal cost and virtually a while you wait process.
Powered by "old school" internal combustion,
common sense, Stratocaster toned bad attitude, and analogue tinted Raybans.

Hal

Post by Hal »

Despite France once being the premier place for motoring and a huge history on cars, they somehow now have just lost the plot altogether regarding cars.

On the one hand the country wants everything to conform to a norm, but do not allow non tax payers access to the likes of ANTS! And then they wonder why there are a plethora of illegal UK cars on their roads!

Pop into your local Mairie and ask. Many, especially in country locations, are offering a service to change the carte gris into your name if you buy a second hand car. A new car, the dealer will do all the paperwork for you into your name. Importing and registering a car will be much more complicated as you must have ANTS to do this, but try the many services that will do all the admin for you for a fee, but maybe mention to them that you are not a true resident as such. Just in case... :)

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

Hal wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:19 am
On the one hand the country wants everything to conform to a norm, but do not allow non tax payers access to the likes of ANTS! And then they wonder why there are a plethora of illegal UK cars on their roads!
It isn't non tax payers, it's those who don't declare in France; there are literally hundreds of thousands of French people who declare their income in France but don't pay tax. The majority of UK-plated cars on French roads are probably owned by people who haven't joined the system.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt »

The OP is to be applauded for doing the right thing - and the French State to be castigated for getting it so wrong again.

But to the topic in hand - an agent seems to be the way - and there is one with a English speaking helpline if required (caution - premium rate) in my link above.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

I have used a mandataire and also the ANTS system but have a bad memory and cant recall what ID was needed for both of them.

Is it that you need an impôts number for ANTS and only a justicatif de domicile for a mandataire?

One other possibility, probably not relevant to the OP but who knows, you can access ANTS through the France Connect portal using your log in details for Ameli, La Poste and several others.

So there is a route to ANTS for those in France who do not make a déclaration des impôts.

Hal

Post by Hal »

Actually, yes, you are right - I remember now that ANTS also lets you in with your fiscal number that is now part of the foncier and habitation tax. So, apologies, it is done to allow those with holiday homes to access...I remember lots of fanfare at the time.

I have found ANTS to be ok, just take it one step at a time and comply with the request before the next step and it's fine. I know though many have trouble with it.

My local LeClerc car park must be testament to how many people from the UK are here who should not be here :D

C Pres

Post by C Pres »

Thanks to all, it appears it is really simple once you have the certificat de cession in hand, ID, driving license, proof of address, and the control technique, your car insurer can do it all for 29.99 Euro, or at a Carte Grise Boutique, which is my Local Renault dealer.

Crystal

Post by Crystal »

Anyone with an ANTS account can register a car on behalf of another person, I've just done one for a friend who moved here recently and hasn't yet got a no. fiscale. The only additional paper you need is a procuration from the owner giving permission for you to act on their behalf.