'Hovering'

Computers, Internet & Broadband, IT issues, Phones & Mobiles and televisions.
Le Démerdeur

Re: 'Hovering'

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Well I have learned something, it works for me so I guess always has worked but I have never seen it, having sight difficulties and monocular vision the brain does not register relatively indistinct things appearing, moving or changing outside of the central macular vision.

Now I know that its there if I remember (another of my failings) then I will know to look.

I did a 12K walk yesterday, a route that I have regularly ran and walked for 12 years, I decided to do it in the reverse direction to better leaarn it because there are a few areas that I frequently take the wrong track. I found a deserted barn right by the side of the track that I had never seen before, it was on the left (my blind side) of a right hand curve in the direction that I usually take, going the other way it was clear as a bell.

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt »

Biggles wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:45 pm
Thank you for your immediate response, niemeyjt. Very interesting! Hovering over the links you posted does indeed show the URL as you describe, in the bottom LH corner of the screen. However, hovering over the link in the dodgy e-mail I received this morning does not display. The link looks very impressive - https://tinyurl.com/y8pyvwc - and because I was suspicious, I typed the URL into my browser and, surprise, surprise, it doesn't exist! So is the scammer creating the e-mail able to prevent the actual link hidden behind the visible link from displaying, or doesn't the Hover function work on links in e-mails?
At a guess, someone has already reported the suspicious e-mail and the shortened URL has been revoked.

In future, if you want to expand this type of shortened URL I recommend a site like : http://checkshorturl.com/ rather than actually testing it in a browser.

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt »

Nifty wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:58 pm
Can one hover with a touch screen or touch keypad ?
It is the mouse pointer that is hovered over the link to reveal it's true meaning - so if a touch screen allows the mouse pointer to be moved to the hover position then I see no reason why not. Try it on my earlier posts and see - they are safe.

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

niemeyjt wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:39 pm
Nifty wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:58 pm
Can one hover with a touch screen or touch keypad ?
It is the mouse pointer that is hovered over the link to reveal it's true meaning - so if a touch screen allows the mouse pointer to be moved to the hover position then I see no reason why not. Try it on my earlier posts and see - they are safe.
I don't think there's a mouse pointer or cursor with a touch screen, but you could try touch+hold, or a long press, to see what appears.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Another thing I've learned today - if the link is one or two lines above the Task Bar, 'hovering' produces the URL at the bottom Right of the screen! :good:
"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see." — Mark Twain