1/3 of pilots have no valid license

A place to discuss politics, news and current affairs. Remember the rules and stay polite.
Nifty

Re: 1/3 of pilots have no valid license

Post by Nifty »

mysty wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:45 am
Nifty wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:03 am
I thought that I made a post on this thread.
Are the razors out?
You took down your post at 4.50am is what it says in the log. I have put it back up for you. If it that wasnt the post your talking about then there wasnt another up that I can see.
Thanks Mysty.
To be blunt, I am not too sharp at that hour.

Plog

Post by Plog »

Spardo wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:32 am
Am I being too simplistic to suggest something as simple as traffic lights? ;)
There have been various sorts of "runway guard" lights over the years, the latest recent iteration from the States is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLKLd7kGSVA

Some of the older versions of those lights can be really really hard to see from a flight deck in low visibility and groping your way around an airport in thick fog in a big aircraft trying to find the gate can be as stressful as the autoland which got you down onto the runway in the first place...

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

Plog wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:50 pm
Spardo wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:32 am
Am I being too simplistic to suggest something as simple as traffic lights? ;)
There have been various sorts of "runway guard" lights over the years, the latest recent iteration from the States is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLKLd7kGSVA

Some of the older versions of those lights can be really really hard to see from a flight deck in low visibility and groping your way around an airport in thick fog in a big aircraft trying to find the gate can be as stressful as the autoland which got you down onto the runway in the first place...
I can well imagine. Of course presumably the operation of the lights is dependent on the tower knowing where you are, which was the problem at Teneriffe. I don't know if the lights are automatically controlled by radar but if not, and controlled by the tower, that would not have helped there. Tower thought the runway was clear.

Plog

Post by Plog »

Spardo wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:42 pm
I don't know if the lights are automatically controlled by radar but if not, and controlled by the tower, that would not have helped there. Tower thought the runway was clear.
The near accident in the States was about twenty years ago...the latest modern Runway Status Lights you see at some American and also some European airports are fully automated...

FWIW the need for all sorts of extra expensive "kit" on the ground for use in fog, such as extra backup power supplies, perimeter fencing, extra lights, possibly ground surveillance radar, is the reason why most airports, most especially the smaller regional ones, don't have the facilities in place to support low visibility operations.

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/technol ... %20runway.

Plog

Post by Plog »

Finally...there's a bit more to the reasons for the ban than just licences but that was the last straw as far as EASA were concerned.
The European Union’s aviation safety agency announced today that Pakistan’s national airline would not be allowed to fly into Europe for at least six months after the country’s aviation minister revealed that nearly a third of Pakistani pilots had cheated during their pilot’s exams.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... xam-cheats

Hal

Post by Hal »

Licences apart, you have a choice to fly PIA or another, seriously, are you going to think about it and opt for PIA..?? :? :?

Nifty

Post by Nifty »

I have flown PIA without any problem. These days, I take on the persona of Howard Huges just by being at an international airport or waiting in the departure lounge.

Plog

Post by Plog »

Whilst it was easy enough to avoid sitting on a PIA aircraft since they had several european destinations there was always the chance you were flying along with the likes of Ryanair or Easyjet sharing airspace with them. In places like London or Paris you could be sat on the ground underneath the trajectory of one of their aircraft - that's something which had unfortunate consequences for some Karachi residents..

EASA has been on PIA's back for some time over the whole way they managed (or rather they didn't manage) the safety monitoring side of the operation...

https://www.flightglobal.com/safety/pia ... 69.article

Nifty

Post by Nifty »

One of the most squalid and memorable flights that I ever undertook was with AAA from Madrid to Miami.
The manner and endurance of the cabin staff was incredible to behold.