Fitting a window in an old door frame that has a stone staircase built along side it

Le Démerdeur

Re: Fitting a window in an old door frame that has a stone staircase built along side it

Post by Le Démerdeur »

I had to cut them down to fit between the wallstuds so there was only a sliver of a frame left anyway, there were no comb joints in the hardwood on mine, all sections machined from one piece of timber, that was back in 2006/7, at the time a B-H hardwood double glazed window was half the price of an unpainted single glazed softwood comb jointed window from the UK builders merchants, Wickes, Howdens etc.

We will never see the like again in France, they really were the golden years of bricolage.

bluebird

Re: Fitting a window in an old door frame that has a stone staircase built along side it

Post by bluebird »

mysty wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:08 pm
The cement was drying fast so we finished it off.
The windows came with this house all made to measure but someone could not measure.
This one was 18cm short on width.
I was going to add oak to the sides but ATS said to try stone. Stone looked better.
Just needs pointed now.
ImageImage
Good job. Personally, I prefer to use UPVC windows. France seems to be a very rainy, wet, damp country. I suspect historically it's not always been like that. Climate change I guess.

mysty

Post by mysty »

Nothing wrong with PVC, this house is a bit different to our usual ones. It's totally origional and characterful.
PVC would have looked out of place and it came with all the with doors and windows included in the price.
P1030727-1.JPG.jpg
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

bluebird

Post by bluebird »

Yes I can see that. Nice looking house. Hardwood windows are generally better aesthetically, but need to be well maintained with all the rain and damp. Also extremely pricey in France if you have to buy made to measure.

limousinlady

Post by limousinlady »

mysty wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:09 am
Nothing wrong with PVC, this house is a bit different to our usual ones. It's totally origional and characterful.
PVC would have looked out of place and it came with all the with doors and windows included in the price.

Lovely looking house. Where is it?

mysty

Post by mysty »

Correze, just outside Objat dep 19.
Nice region, that is a pretty typical style of house.
Will take better pictures of the slate roof, its quirky and would be a challenge to re slate.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

Mike

Post by Mike »

I did not find the hardwood windows and doors from Lapeyre expensive and have lasted well with little maintenance for the last ten years, as to the rain and damp is that not what shutters are for to protect the windows/opening from the elements, it's noticeable how little adverse weather gets to the frames.