Lawn mower recommend

Everything about gardening in France.
Fitter

Re: Lawn mower recommend

Post by Fitter »

JohnnyD wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:13 pm
I presume we are talking 4 stroke oil in this engine? What’s the recommended mix ratio? Also is standard unleaded ok? I know it’s not recommended in my Honda Izzy mower

JD
The oil grade will be in the handbook - probably an ordinary 10W-30 oil.

"I know it’s not recommended in my Honda Izzy mower" All Honda petrol engine products will run on standard unleaded SP 95. Check your handbook again.

It's a four stroke engine. It needs ordinary SP95 fuel (unleaded) - (don't use SP95-E10 because it's cheaper - it's crap and will mess up the engine in storage)

You are worrying me a bit with "What’s the recommended mix ratio?" - You don't need to mix anything with four-stroke fuel.
There are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns—the ones we don't know we don't know.

JohnnyD

Post by JohnnyD »

Strimmer has arrived :) Just need to get it to France next week now :D

Anyone heard of these guys? Its not a bad price and has a B&S engine.....and is driven and has a basket and mulches...thinking about the 500 model

https://www.amazon.fr/Murray-Tondeuse-r ... 1854690031

JD

why me?

Post by why me? »

JohnnyD wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:52 pm

Anyone heard of these guys? Its not a bad price and has a B&S engine.....and is driven and has a basket and mulches...thinking about the 500 model

JD
Tiny price for tiny mower for tiny garden. Steel deck won't last long unless you really look after it .
Looks like it's a push along not tractee so if you've got a decent size lawn you'll spend all of your holidays pushing & emtying the thing.
Save your money & get a decent mower.

why me?

Post by why me? »

why me? wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:06 pm
JohnnyD wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:52 pm

JD
Tiny price for tiny mower for tiny garden. Steel deck won't last long unless you really look after it .
Looks like it's a push along not tractee so if you've got a decent size lawn you'll spend all of your holidays pushing & emtying the thing.
Save your money & get a decent mower.
Edit.
Just looked again & seen it's autotractee (edited)
Other comments still apply.
Last edited by why me? on Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnnyD

Post by JohnnyD »

Just remind me again if you don’t mind on what would be a good mower, strimmer is fine for big cuts, but would be good to have a mower also I think.

JD

Edit....available in France would be a bonus

why me?

Post by why me? »

JohnnyD wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:13 pm
Just remind me again if you don’t mind on what would be a good mower, strimmer is fine for big cuts, but would be good to have a mower also I think.

JD

Depends on many things such as how big is your budget, how long you expect it to last, lawn size, borders, obstacles such as trees etc, etc & very importantly, how far do you have to take grass cuttings if you collect them. You can walk miles emptying a grass box.
My self propelled, walk behind lawn mower is from the Viking range & probably about 8/900€ now, but I haven't used it since I gave up trying to collect grass cuttings 10 years ago & bought a decent 13 cv frontal cutting, rear wheel steer, mulching ride on. Best 3k€ investment on gardening stuff I've ever made.
There's usually a reason why stuff is cheap.

JohnnyD

Post by JohnnyD »

Budget would obviously be not a silly one, but good and reliable, not having measured the actual size of the garden having only been there on one visit in winter since buying, I would guess about 690 m2 but about a 1/4 of that is gravelled I think, lockdown has really prevented us from knowing more really as the last visit was in freezing winter and the garden was not at the forefront of our urgencies, there are a few fruit trees in the garden.

JD

JohnnyD

Post by JohnnyD »

JohnnyD

Post by JohnnyD »

Fitter wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:07 am
You are worrying me a bit with "What’s the recommended mix ratio?" - You don't need to mix anything with four-stroke fuel.
Yeh ignore that, I had a bit of a meltdown after reading some sales blurb, got a 2 stroke chain saw so it confused me LoL

JD

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt »

JohnnyD wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:54 pm
This has been suggested.......

https://www.gardenmachinerydirect.co.uk ... mower.html

JD
I cannot comment on the specific model, but in general terms that marque has a good reputation - friends had one and loved it - indeed he used to love using it for anything he could once he lost his driving licence due to a stroke.

Front mounted decks are most useful getting into corners and mid articulation is very manoeverable.

Note, they recommend it for up to 30 ares - though obviously you can use it on a larger area.