A Plumbing Question

Le Démerdeur

Re: A Plumbing Question

Post by Le Démerdeur »

I had this situation on every shower mixer tap where there were parallel threads on the excentric adaptors that have to be tightened to an exact position to give the correct entraxe and be level, it meant that one or both would not be tightened sufficiently to seal and would leak unseen into the cloison behind the tiling or cladding creating a health risk of damp and mould.

If I did get them to seal then if the mixer was subsequently removed undoing the nut would usually loosen the fitting or break the seal.

Since then I have been using a generic Loctite type anaerobic plubing sealant and never ever have leaks.

Another real problem area was the bronze manifolds (nourrices) that they use for hot/cold distribution, I had so many outlets to individual flats that I had to use more than one nourrice screwed in line with each other, the outlets had to line up so the only adjustment was one full turn, no shoulders inside to use fibre washers, the joints leaked like seives until I used the anaerobic sealer.

I know a proper old school plumber would have achieved a good sealed joint, I have come across many but when I have disconnected something close to it the torque has cracked the seal and they leaked and until using the anaerobic sealent I could never get them to seal again.

why me?

Post by why me? »

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:18 pm
I had this situation on every shower mixer tap where there were parallel threads on the excentric adaptors that have to be tightened to an exact position to give the correct entraxe and be level, it meant that one or both would not be tightened sufficiently to seal and would leak unseen into the cloison behind the tiling or cladding creating a health risk of damp and mould.

If I did get them to seal then if the mixer was subsequently removed undoing the nut would usually loosen the fitting or break the seal.

Since then I have been using a generic Loctite type anaerobic plubing sealant and never ever have leaks.

I'm struggling to understand how a threaded joint in the wall on the eccentric shower fitting can be moved whilst undoing a flat faced, rubber washer jointed union on the mixer as this cannot turn until the mixer nuts are fully undone.

bluebird

Post by bluebird »

What you describe sounds more like a male/female or female/male joint. The advantage of a compression assembly is that it allows 360 deg orientation by slightly slackening off the compression nut and rotating the crimped tube to suit the installation.

Mike

Post by Mike »

There is a Loctite product: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/pipe-sea ... lsrc=aw.ds that supposedly allows re-positioning after connection to line up taps ect, never used it, but that is what the specification says it will do.

And that Loctite silicone sealant has the worst tube container I have ever come across, the cap splits when you tighten it back up, Loctite say they are aware of the problem and sent me four new caps? :roll:

To check all the plumbing joint I use one of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/253228512274?c ... vTEALw_wcB pump up to about 20 bar and leave for a few hours, have not get the time when we are down to leave for twenty four hours as you supposed too, but not had a problem yet.