Boiling mushrooms ???

A place to discuss food, share your recipes and drink choices/recommendations.
Annabelle's Papa

Re: Boiling mushrooms ???

Post by Annabelle's Papa »

Fitter-
"Champignons de paris - small button mushrooms are widely available in tins, we get ours from Aldi, albeit the very small tins."

Yes, that is what I have seen, in my case in a French Lidl.
The truth is everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for. Bob Marley

elsie

Post by elsie »

If you are going to boil them (much better is just a very low simmer!!) add some olive oil and then let the water evaporate slowly.

I started to do that to rehydrate an expensive pack of Italian dried porcini/truffle fungi for pasta sauce - it is what it said in the packet. I now do the same for the dried ceps and other fungi Lidl FR sell rather than just steeping in warm water for 15 min.. For dehydrated fungi, even an hour simmering isn't too much.

Catrose

Post by Catrose »

Yes boiling is perhaps not the right word! I can’t think of any food that is improved by full on boiling.. But slowly simmering fresh mushrooms also works.

Annabelle's Papa

Post by Annabelle's Papa »

Thanks all, just waiting for an opportunity to go and get some to put it all to the test ! :good:
The truth is everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for. Bob Marley