Under Construction.

Writers can showcase their work and get feedback
Nifty

Under Construction.

Post by Nifty »

Prolog

Construction was the name of a huge chunk of rock that my mother told me
I had been carrying around on my shoulder since I was about twelve or thirteen.
How could she know? She was the daughter of a lucky gambler from another age.
More of that later. Let us try to stick to this for the present.

Now

Reality is returning.
As I can hear the rhythmic cries and moanings from an old man in a bed in an adjacent room further along the corridor outside what has been my room since my former room-mate went home yesterday morning. Hamdulah.

My thoughts are carried back to the last time I heard similar moanings in the morning;
which were much easier then for me to phoneticise.. Monsoonal rain has started to fall;
which adds to the flavour of the time.
Link
But the target is to concentrate on The Present

Here it is.

‘Way yea’

‘Ba ba’

These utterances are interspersed with the melody of French voices

‘Voila’

‘Oi’

‘Pour vous’

‘Way yea yea’

‘Non non’

‘Allez’

Radio commentator is babbling...

‘d’ accord’

‘Way yea, way yea. way yea. Non.’

‘Tres bien’

‘Agh!’

‘Je n pas’

Radio babble fuses into meaninglessness.

'Tout à l'heure'

FYI
https://www.thoughtco.com/tout-a-lheure-1371417

‘Way yea yea’

‘Merci Mati’

‘Urgence’

Footsteps approach as the dark side of the moon appears.
Why not stop and listen to it with me under the serious moonlight ?

Then
The road from Leon to Managua can at best be described as Patchy, that is, it is Fair to Poor. The result of flood damage combined with the lack of up-keep. The nearly 90-kilometre journey took 3 hours in an old Canadian school-bus whose driver spent most of his time either changing gear or sounding his very loud klaxon horn.

When one is out and about, it seems that 90% of the people of Nicaragua are either at school or trying to sell things; In a very flooded market to boot.
This was exemplified as the bus drew nearer to the Eastern Bus Station where it was raining heavily ( in spite of the fact that it was arriving from the north) when a a very Mexican-looking young man of about twenty jumped on to the bus and proceeded to flourish a card about, upon which was affixed a selection of sewing needles, while giving what I assume was a lengthy sales-pitch.
He produced a small pair of scissors, and then, holding them out in front of himself like a madjician
pulling a white rabbit from a hat, I deduced from his body language and my smattering of Spanish, probably said something in his non-stop delivery of what was presumably sales patter, along the lines of
‘ …….and for this bargain price, not only do you get 36 useful needles
you also get a fine pair of scissors…’

Who could resist such a bargain ?

Everybody that was on the bus at the time apparently.

It seems that it is hard to objectively compare the standard of living of the very poor in the world’s greatest cities; no one really knows the population of many of them, give or take a few million. There seems to be a great flux as people from rural areas move in only to be shunted from one filthy and derelict site to another by the authorities. Even in Uptown Managua, it can be dangerous to navigate the pavements as they are punctuated by large potholes, felled trees, unfinished works & open sewers which could cause the unwary passer-by grievous injury should they step in one.

Down town, the stench of decay, diesel fumes and wood-smoke permeate the atmosphere. One cannot but think of Social Darwinism when one observes the enormous breadth of ingenuity, which seems to manifest itself among the in-comers who are desperately struggling to carve out a niche for themselves in the seething mass of humanity that is Managua.
Ubiquitous car horns. Sounds of faster moving traffic on the main road maybe 100 meters away.
Casa Santos mid afternoon
As I sit and write these lines, I can hear strains of Western / Spanish muzak that is constantly blaring from the satellite TV, and become blended with my Constant Present.
The occasional rumble of a diesel engine as a taxi trundles by and I become aware of the pityful, tormented moans that emanate from a squalid shed constructed of breeze, wood and corrugated iron.
‘Uh! Uh! Uh! Uh!’
The occasional Se Vende sign on a vacant derelict lot causes one to question the legality
of Ownership; or Theft.
After all, there are no street names, house or lot numbers in this part of Managua, even more than 30 years after the earthquake.
Ice cream and drink vendors seem to share a common belief with their Indian and Moroccan counterparts which seems to pivot on the assumption that their sales are exponentially proportionate to the amount of noise that they make with their bells.

Uh! Uh! Uh! Uh! Uh! Uh! Argh! Eh!

Is poverty more acceptable in Bombay (or whatever you prefer to call it) or Mexico City? Is it worse in Whitechapel or rural India? Are the established farmers that we met at Achuapa better off than the managers and owners of dairy farms owned by Arabs in Wales and Devon? I suppose it is all down to ones values.
Do I really know? Do I really care?
Like the vast majority of those that I’ve attempted to describe I’m all right, (Jack-up) for the moment anyhow.
The real diarrhea appears to be fading as the literary form takes over.

Uh! Uh!

25th September. 3.30 am?
Slept badly last night because of excessive diarrhea. I took antibiotic in panic and despair as I realized that I had left my proper diarrhea medicine it the luggage that I left with Henk in order to lighten the load for traveling. After we arrived at Henk’s house, he took us to see the Masaya volcano, which is about thirty kilometres from the center of Managua. There was a museum at the foot of the volcano, which seemed to be directed towards geology and Nicaraguan volcanoes in particular. Basic details such as height, type and geological history.
John said that the museum was originally built as a hotel /restaurant come conference center 20 or so years ago. However, because of the interruptions caused by the civil war there, and Nicaragua’s image abroad, it was not economically viable to run it as such and fell into decay before being re-opened as a museum. John noted that it was in bad condition when he last saw it some six years previously.
Before returning to Managua we had a look round a market in Masaya, which was really a cover for a Tourist Trap, which I thought only sold tat. I thought that better deals could be found at the market that we visited last week (18th Sept).
Last edited by Nifty on Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:55 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Le Démerdeur

Re: Under Construction.

Post by Le Démerdeur »

What year was the Managua travelogue written Nifty?

Nifty

Post by Nifty »

I am not certain. Before 2009 ?

Edit. More like 2005
Last edited by Nifty on Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Why are you asking me?

Was it not you that wrote it then?

Nifty

Post by Nifty »

? Is supposed to signify that I am not sure

Guilty.

Nifty

Re: Under Con Struction.

Post by Nifty »

MOURNING NOTES

After reading the foreplay to this link
https://betterbe.co/life/secrets-aldi/

Which is a clone of this
Under the Influence of Manipulations (or,)
How to skew or screw the market in your favour

Fade in/out lines of/or / sTrains (potting) of Congratulations sung by Sir Cliff Razor-Edge

Manipulations and celebrations
When I tell everyone that you're in love
With me
Manipulations
And jubilations
I want the world to know what I can see.

Who could believe that I could be happy and contented
I used to think that happiness hadn't been invented
But that was in the bad old days before we met CV
When I let you walk into my heart ??

Manipulations
And celebrations
With me
Manipulations
And jubilations
I want the world to know I'm happy as can be.

I was afraid that maybe you thought you were above me
That I was only fooling myself to think you loved me
But then tonight you said you couldn't live without me
That round about me
You wanted to stay

Manipulations
And celebrations
With me
Manipulations
And jubilations
I want the world to know I'm happy as can be.

Who could believe that I could be happy and contented
I used to think that happiness hadn't been invented
But that was in the bad old days before I met you
When I let you walk into my heart

Congratulations
I was afraid that maybe you thought you were above me
That I was only fooling myself to think you loved me
But then tonight you said you couldn't live without me
That round about me
You wanted to stay

Ideas for changing lines welcome.

From the link that think is designed to dis Aldi. I think that it could be instigated by a an aggressive agent.

‘Prepare yourself Aldi fans, because there are some fascinating facts that you should know about this famous grocery brand. For years, Aldi has been one of the most popular places to go and buy your groceries. This famous grocery chain operates on three continents, including Europe, Australia, andmeters North America.
28 Secrets Aldi Doesn’t Want You to Know ‘

One has to ask themselves if Boris Johnson wrote this script and the following lyrics

One meter + 70% profit
Two meters 30% profit

Cut in govt contribution ?
Making privatisation of NHS more desirable?

pandemic, no panto In has moved to Westminster

Murder in Reading - Look! A squirrel...

‘ The P.M.is Acountable . ’ Matt ( not the cartoonist) Hancock

Readers
Can we make this a joint effort .
Last edited by Nifty on Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:43 pm, edited 13 times in total.

SW31girl

Post by SW31girl »

Yes, quite........?

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett

Nifty

Post by Nifty »

Notes taken during Andrew Marr this am.
Undergoing massage therapy.
The link has mysteriously changed, or, Leaked away.
The missing link ?
I will try and make it make sense
I may be some time

Meanwhile