POSTINGS - STICK TO YOUR GUNS

Welcome to our new forum! It's all new and put together by volunteers, any helpful comments to make it better are welcome.
Loup-garou

POSTINGS - STICK TO YOUR GUNS

Post by Loup-garou »

I thought that this may be the best place to put this rather than the snug.

IN What Made You Laugh Today?
"Post by Elizabeth » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:22 am
I think a lot of it is context, in that context it was amusing and you did warn people.Please don’t take it down Stompie."

Also there was a suggestion from ATS that Stompie should not belatedly remove a post. That made me wonder whether there should be a time limit for contributors to change or delete posts. In passing, I agree wholeheartedly with those two posts.

If a thread develops into a multi-pager, as the interesting ones do, it would be possible for a contributor to change the sense or completely rewrite their original position downstream. I accept that this is unlikely and everyone on here is completely trustworthy, nor I do not suggest anyone has. BUT - if Dominic Cummings can do it .................................... !

Incidentally, I googled DC this morning to see if there had been any developments and the first entry on the google page read "Dominic Cummings Political Leader". So it's official! :o

After the Storm

Re: POSTINGS - STICK TO YOUR GUNS

Post by After the Storm »

I think I said there was no need for her delete or change her post and the confirmation of that was if it had been totally unacceptable it would have been taken down. I/ we have no objection to what was posted.

Won"t answer your other points just now because I shouldn't be on just now :)

RobertArthur

Post by RobertArthur »

@ Loup-garou, should there be a time limit for contributors to change or delete posts? A special case of course, a stickey item of two years ago that is supposed to provide up-to-date information (Electrical / Book reccommendation), I removed a dead link, added a new link and deleted one line of text. When? Yesterday. The grey area of website maintenance and rewriting history.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

There is another French forum where one of the main posters is very good at retro editing,he usually doesn’t leave it very long to be fair but it can alter the context of a thread/ response I remember one night he posted a reply to me it was very brief and polite. There was a bit more chat in the thread then I went to bed ,got up the next day and things on the topic didn’t make sense . I looked back and the brief response had been added to following my later posts to make me look bad.

exile

Post by exile »

Notwithstanding the good points made for allowing editing, I would suggest that we should have some form of limit or control of changes/deletions.

Many years ago I was on a forum (non-French/non-France) where one of those silly spats managed to get completely out of hand with the result that one of the aggrieved parties decided to leave the forum - but not before he had deleted every single post he had ever made. That was in excess of 5000 posts and must have taken him all night with the software as it was then, where post deletion was not possible and a post had to be amended by deleting every single character!