Salt test strips.

Ask questions about buying, installing and maintaining a swimming pool/pond in France.
Crazy Diamond

Salt test strips.

Post by Crazy Diamond »

Our salt water chlorinator specifies the amount of salt required to be 400ppm. To ensure the level is roughly correct I use AquaChek Test For Salt strips. These have always seemed expensive to me at around €12 for a container of just 10. However, now they have gone up in price and are very difficult to find. Amazon France has them for sale at €44.90 for a set of 3 packs, plus P&P. Cash Piscines only charge €10.90/pack but never seem to have any in stock, my nearest branch is around 80kms away and in typical French style they don't offer a mail order service. I have seen them advertised on ebay for $16.83, but as these originate from the US there is a P&P charge of around 20 sovs, plus a deposit against possible import duty.
Can anybody please suggest either an alternative supplier for these AquaChek strips at a sensible price, or an alternative test method which would be reasonably accurate? Summat straightforward and easy to use if possible.
Syd.
There is a sufficiency in the world for man’s need, but not for man’s greed.
Mahatma Gandhi.

Tom

Re: Salt test strips.

Post by Tom »

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/10000065 ... web201603_

Couldn't you use one of these inexpensive salinity meters? Even if they're not very accurate you could perhaps calibrate it with one of your regular test strips.
Here’s a good rule of thumb:
Too clever is dumb.
—Ogden Nash

Hal

Post by Hal »

Crazy Diamond wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:30 pm
and in typical French style they don't offer a mail order service.
You are being a tad unfair here :cry: France is pretty good in having mail order service across the board and Cash Piscines DO have a mail order service. I order consumables this way and never had a problem.

When my pool was salt, I used a cheapo probe such as Tom suggested. Providing the chlorinator has enough salt to convert to chlorine quickly you need not be too exact. Although I am sure my old mukka teapot and his band of cyber friends will be along soon to say otherwise :D

Crazy Diamond

Post by Crazy Diamond »

Hal wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:03 pm
Crazy Diamond wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:30 pm
and in typical French style they don't offer a mail order service.
You are being a tad unfair here :cry: France is pretty good in having mail order service across the board and Cash Piscines DO have a mail order service. I order consumables this way and never had a problem.

When my pool was salt, I used a cheapo probe such as Tom suggested. Providing the chlorinator has enough salt to convert to chlorine quickly you need not be too exact. Although I am sure my old mukka teapot and his band of cyber friends will be along soon to say otherwise :D
Yes OK, Cash Piscines do offer a mail order service for a few items, but not small ones like small test strips which seems odd. When I emailed Cash Piscines about this I got no reply which didn't surprise me. Have you ever received mail ordered test strips from CP? I would much prefer some kind of a meter or probe as invariably the test strips are past their use by date before I've finished using them and occasionally when I buy them. I do realise getting the ppm salt level exactly correct is not crucial and indeed the test strips only give an approximate reading. I'll have another look at the probe Tom kindly suggested and providing I can understand how to use it, may well give it a go. Have to admit as a pool dunce/novice, I didn't know salinity meters existed. If I had been aware I'd have saved a fortune on test strips. Yet another reason for being a member of this forum! Meanwhile, if the "cyber friends" would like to suggest anything I'd welcome their advice.
Syd.
Mahatma Gandhi.

SP1DER

Post by SP1DER »

I use one of these, seems reasonably accurate. My salt chlorinator gives a readout if there is not enough (or too much) salt in the water and in 3 years use it has always been OK.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TenYua-Digital ... 191&sr=8-6

Crazy Diamond

Post by Crazy Diamond »

Thanks for your replies folks. Spider, that gizmo you recommend seems just the hammer. Digital display, reckon even I could use it and all for seven sovs which is less than the price of tube of 10 AquaChek test strips. Bloody brill, I'm gonna get one. Amazon France have something which looks identical, except theirs is called a Nankod LCD TDS Testeur and comes in at €8.86 plus P&P. Not quite as cheap as the UK version, but I can live with that.
Syd.
Mahatma Gandhi.

Crazy Diamond

Post by Crazy Diamond »

Just received an email order acknowledgement from Amazon France for my salinity tester and delivery is quoted as 'twixt 22 and 31 July which is a bit of a blow. Mind you, it could have taken me until then to locate some AquaChek test strips
Syd.
Mahatma Gandhi.

SP1DER

Post by SP1DER »

Yeah, it will be coming from China that's why I got mine from the UK.