Eurotunnel Frequent Traveller tickets

A place to discuss and ask questions about moving to France.
Or moving from one region of France to another
Loup-garou

Re: Eurotunnel Frequent Traveller tickets

Post by Loup-garou »

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 5:19 pm

What gets me is the surge in charity advertising now they have a captive audience, exactly what happened during the Xmas shutdown after the 2004 tsunami and of course afterwards the scandals slowly revealed of how in many cases none of the money was ever given to charity.
Given the most destructive tsunami was at around 8 am, local time, on 26 December - when would you have preferred charities to make appeals?

In the UK, THE appeal was run and coordinated by the Disasters Emergency Committee; a committee made up of bona fide NGOs. It raised around £400m (still a UK record) much of which was donated in the first 24 hours which would seem to justify the appeal interrupting your Christmas!

If you have information or specific claims about UK charities/organisations asking for donations ("in many cases") in 2004 and early 2005 and keeping them, post it rather than just sweeping aspersions. There were around 230,000 fatalities, around 2 million people made homeless and 14 countries around the Indian Ocean affected - that's what got me!

SW31girl

Post by SW31girl »

Ok, since you are going on about charities I’m going to make the following observation.
Why are there so many of them. Some of them cover exactly the same area, so why not merge.
How many of them actually deliver any real benefits other than to the paid executives.
Why do they nearly all have a CEO with a big salary package - it’s not just the basic salary.

Yes, there are some good ones that really do a lot to help people, animals and communities but there’s also a lot that are very questionable.

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

It didnt interrupt my Christmas LG, that is fiction on your part and a continuation of your trolling.

My Christmas 2004 was initially spent in Cairns base hospital coming out of a coma from Falciparum Malaria, I was discharged while still very ill to mke way for the seasonal influx of drunken stabbing victims, weak, incontinent and having to wear an adult nappy.

I returned to the UK for continued treatment with a medical certificate allowing me to travel under strict conditions, the flight I was on filled up on the stopover in Singapore (I think, its all hazy) with tourists evacuated from the region, they were all moaning about having their holidays curtailed whilst the harrowing images of the bodies piled up on the beaches were showing on the TV monitors, that is what got me.

Loup-garou

Post by Loup-garou »

"Trolling"?

"What does trolling mean on social media?
Trolling is defined as creating discord on the Internet by starting quarrels or upsetting people by posting inflammatory or off-topic messages in an online community. Basically, a social media troll is someone who purposely says something controversial in order to get a rise out of other users."

If challenging inconsistencies and unsupported claims is trolling then I may be guilty. But, given the frequency of my posting, it seems unlikely don't you think? I didn't even comment on the thread you started to find out how soon you could apply for a residency permit! :D O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay! He chortled in his joy.

why me?

Post by why me? »

Loup-garou wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 5:40 pm
"Trolling"?

"What does trolling mean on social media?
Trolling is defined as creating discord on the Internet by starting quarrels or upsetting people by posting inflammatory or off-topic messages in an online community. Basically, a social media troll is someone who purposely says something controversial in order to get a rise out of other users."

If challenging inconsistencies and unsupported claims is trolling then I may be guilty. But, given the frequency of my posting, it seems unlikely don't you think? I didn't even comment on the thread you started to find out how soon you could apply for a residency permit! :D O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay! He chortled in his joy.
LG. If you read the T & C's of forum membership you will find that nobody is allowed to challenge anything chancer posts. :lol:

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Loup-garou wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 5:40 pm
I didn't even comment on the thread you started to find out how soon you could apply for a residency permit! :D O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay! He chortled in his joy.
I't brings me some comfort that I can bring you joy during these difficult times, however I do not believe that I started a thread asking how soon I could apply for a residency permit, yet another of your distortions?

Its a shame that you were not so restrained when I answered factually the question that you asked on a thread that you started, I learned my lesson it wont happen again.

I agree 100% with your definition of trolling.

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

SW31girl wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 2:23 pm
Ok, since you are going on about charities I’m going to make the following observation.
Why are there so many of them. Some of them cover exactly the same area, so why not merge.
How many of them actually deliver any real benefits other than to the paid executives.
Why do they nearly all have a CEO with a big salary package - it’s not just the basic salary.

Yes, there are some good ones that really do a lot to help people, animals and communities but there’s also a lot that are very questionable.
I agree and that makes it very difficult to sort them all out. Happily, or otherwise according to your point of view, I can't afford to choose where to place my meagre surplus, so instead saved myself the trouble by giving freely of my time instead. :)

I admit though, that is is directed to only one of the areas you mention. ;)