Mayhem and trouble on the way

A place for some light-hearted chat.
niemeyjt

Re: Mayhem and trouble on the way

Post by niemeyjt » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:17 am

I guess it is a case of successive governments putting off until tomorrow what should have been reformed today.

From that perspective, Macron is doing what he promised and what he should have been done years ago re the pensions.

tim17
Has thanked: 0

Post by tim17 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:29 am

The 'non-biased' BBC cited the case of a train driver who can't retire until 57 and a half who's very unhappy about possibly having to work longer, it might force him to change jobs!

Personally I think the retirement age is too low here, depending on how Brexit goes I could in theory start receiving the French part of my state pension at 60 but don't envisage stopping work until several years later.

tohubohu

Post by tohubohu » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:46 am

tim17 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:29 am
The 'non-biased' BBC cited the case of a train driver who can't retire until 57 and a half who's very unhappy about possibly having to work longer, it might force him to change jobs!

Personally I think the retirement age is too low here, depending on how Brexit goes I could in theory start receiving the French part of my state pension at 60 but don't envisage stopping work until several years later.
You mean a reduced french pension, as retirement age is 62, also not enough" trimestres" to receive a full pension
Si tu ne sais pas où tu vas, souviens-toi d'où tu viens.

just a Frenchie

Post by just a Frenchie » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:52 am

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:29 pm
I will be arriving at Coquelles into the thick of it, have clients arriving tomorrow night, can afford 90 minutes of delays beyond that there will be some unhappy campers. Think I have enough diesel for the journey and have a couple of jerrycans in reserve at the hôtel, it will be good to use them as last time lurgies were growing inside.
I wish you good luck ! If you have the opportunity of topping up your tank on the motorway, just do it just in case. Quite often there's fuel available there even if the stations have run out in towns... :good:
You learn from your mistakes but it's much quicker and cheaper to learn from the mistakes of other people ! :D

just a Frenchie

Post by just a Frenchie » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:58 am

niemeyjt wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:17 am
I guess it is a case of successive governments putting off until tomorrow what should have been reformed today.

From that perspective, Macron is doing what he promised and what he should have been done years ago re the pensions.
Correct ! For a good 40 years, our Presidents have procrastinated. And the lower you go, the more difficult it is to go up the hill again !
You learn from your mistakes but it's much quicker and cheaper to learn from the mistakes of other people ! :D

just a Frenchie

Post by just a Frenchie » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:07 am

tim17 wrote:

Poor thing ! I don't think he has understood what is planned... The new conditions of Macron's project will only apply to new employees and the new plan will be applied smoothly.

The retirement age is too low for some categories such as the railways and civil servants. As a builder, I had to retire at 65 and the work is much harder than a train driver (train driver was hard at the time of steam engines... no more nowadays ! )

tim17
Has thanked: 0

Post by tim17 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:09 am

tohubohu wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:46 am
tim17 wrote:

You mean a reduced french pension, as retirement age is 62, also not enough" trimestres" to receive a full pension
It's possible to retire at 60 here via ' carriere longue' where you add the trimestres accumulated from other countries to those you've gained in France and you'll get a full pension but with the date of receipt split depending on the retirement age on the other country/countries, that's the theory but Brexit could change that.

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:19 am

tim17 wrote:

I think it is too low across Western Europe - it needs to be 70 at least in line with modern life expectancy. Officially mine is just under 67 in UK, 65 here and 60 for my private one in UK. I expect to work to 70 anyhow. Remember in UK when pensions were introduced in 1908 it was for 70 year olds and life expectancy was 51M/55F. It was reduced to 65 year in 1923 when life expectancy was 55M/59F. So not everyone received it and those who did did so for a shorter amount of time. Now (2011 figures) it is 79M/82F. So that's an average of 14M/17F(or 22 for those who retired at 60) years of payments for everyone.

Working longer will also kill the ponzi scheme by which we need to bring in loads of workers to pay the pensions of the retired workers.

But I think we need a culture shift. Why retire when on the top as MD? Why not take a lower role as get older - lower in terms of time and skills? How do we find non-manual work for older manual workers? And politicians stop raiding private pensions.

In UK no-one thinks far beyond 5 years - so I applaud Macron for his forward thinking.

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:39 am

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:29 pm
I will be arriving at Coquelles into the thick of it, have clients arriving tomorrow night, can afford 90 minutes of delays beyond that there will be some unhappy campers. Think I have enough diesel for the journey and have a couple of jerrycans in reserve at the hôtel, it will be good to use them as last time lurgies were growing inside.
You think that you have enough for the journey? Surely if you fill up before leaving the UK your super economical Skoda will have enough in the tank to last you a month, far more than you will need for the short trip from Calais to your home.

mysty

Post by mysty » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:49 am

Niemeyjt.
At 70, it's too old to be doing most jobs.
These users thanked the author mysty for the post (total 3):
Aardvark (Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:07 am) • Wanderer (Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:00 pm) • FrenchForumSurvivor (Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:07 pm)
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience