France is the champion of Europe

A place to discuss politics, news and current affairs. Remember the rules and stay polite.
After the Storm

France is the champion of Europe

Post by After the Storm » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:21 pm

We just watched a shocking clip on channel Cstar. It's not something France can be proud of though, more than 100,000 animals abandoned every year.

These users thanked the author After the Storm for the post (total 3):
Ally (Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:18 pm) • Dylan (Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:09 am) • Hexenbeest (Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:14 am)
The Telegraph is simply The Sun for those on higher rate tax.

exile

Re: France is the champion of Europe

Post by exile » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:38 pm

Sadly I can believe the numbers given the number of kittens and young (frequently pregnant) cats that arrive chez nous. Provided they do not cause major ructions with the incumbent population, none is turned away.
These users thanked the author exile for the post:
Noisette (Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:13 pm)

Stompie

Post by Stompie » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:17 pm

It's heartbreaking.
Hopefully videos like that will start to get through to people that animals aren't toys to be thrown away as soon as you're bored with them.

Ally

Post by Ally » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:22 pm

Thanks ATS, that has fairly cheered me up. I couldn't give away a problem pet nevermind abandon one. What ever the problem I'd work through it.
These users thanked the author Ally for the post:
Dylan (Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:12 am)
Never in the history o' calming doon has a Scottish person being telt tae calm doon, ever calmed doon.

Gardengirl

Post by Gardengirl » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:26 pm

It’s dreadful to see something like that.

I do wonder if people who treat animals like that are any better at caring for their children.

niemeyjt
Has thanked: 0

Post by niemeyjt » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:02 pm

Just a suggestion - perhaps the religious beliefs of some people regarding when life begins, contraception etc may lead to an anti-neutering mentality that results in these unwanted animals in the first place?

exile

Post by exile » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:28 pm

I have often wondered that but talking to the people at La maison des chats in the next commune I am unsure. Our commune is and has historically been catholic, whereas the neighbouring one was and largely remains protestant (this was once on the frontline of religious intolerance). Their cat problem is, if anything, worse than here.
Admittedly we operate slightly different strategies. We home cats chez nous if/when they arrive here, neuter, vaccinate and feed. They trap(if the kittens cannot be otherwise caught), neuter, release and leave food. Those in a poor state of health will receive treatment before release.

Edit to add: There is a widespread belief - and not just in France - that females should be allowed to have a first litter of kittens before being sterilised. All of the vets confirm that this is utter nonsense, but many of these females never get to a vet so the owners never find out.
These users thanked the author exile for the post:
Noisette (Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:15 pm)

Simonflys

Post by Simonflys » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:41 am

Gardengirl wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:26 pm
It’s dreadful to see something like that.

I do wonder if people who treat animals like that are any better at caring for their children.
Couldn't agree more. I've always thought that people who don't like animals, don't like people. There is something "missing" in their psyche - I steer well clear of them. People capable of abandoning or mistreating animals are no more than human garbage. It breaks my heart.
I Never Did Mind About The Little Things.....
https://youtu.be/OSQR_GpCtEo

mysty

Post by mysty » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:54 am

exile wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:28 pm
I have often wondered that but talking to the people at La maison des chats in the next commune I am unsure. Our commune is and has historically been catholic, whereas the neighbouring one was and largely remains protestant (this was once on the frontline of religious intolerance). Their cat problem is, if anything, worse than here.
Admittedly we operate slightly different strategies. We home cats chez nous if/when they arrive here, neuter, vaccinate and feed. They trap(if the kittens cannot be otherwise caught), neuter, release and leave food. Those in a poor state of health will receive treatment before release.

Edit to add: There is a widespread belief - and not just in France - that females should be allowed to have a first litter of kittens before being sterilised. All of the vets confirm that this is utter nonsense, but many of these females never get to a vet so the owners never find out.
We have a wild cat we feed, she has two kittens who can only be about eight to ten weeks old. Last years kitten got a new home it was not really wild and you could lift her up.
This years are wanting no contact yet they are still getting milk from there mother but eating any food we put out. If we trapped the mother would a vet sterilise a wild cat. I would have thought the kittens will come to us in time.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

Veem

Post by Veem » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:35 am

A feral cat arrived here after heavy snow 7 years ago crying for food. We fed her, she became pregnant and gave birth to 3 kittens. Only one of those kittens ever became tame enough to behave as a pet though the others will now allow themselves to be stroked on their terms. With help from SPA we managed to catch them all and have them neutered. So yes Mysty a vet will sterilise wild cats. All 4 still live here as outdoor cats, come for food every day and look the picture of health.
These users thanked the author Veem for the post:
exile (Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:51 am)