French roads are no longer safe

A place for some light-hearted chat.
mysty

French roads are no longer safe

Post by mysty » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:51 am

:lol: 68% of speed cameras have been vandalised by the GJ. The prime minister says this is dangerous for motorists.
What will happen if road deaths fall when the figures come out later this year with 68% less cameras.
It would be hard to claim they make the roads safer.
These users thanked the author mysty for the post:
Aardvark (Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:23 pm)
Rating: 12.5%
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

Ally

Re: French roads are no longer safe

Post by Ally » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:18 am

Although I don't condone it, it's a good tactic from the GJ point of view.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:14 am

It's the one thing I do condone about them, applaud even.
These users thanked the author Le Démerdeur for the post:
Aardvark (Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:24 pm)

F Flinstone
Has thanked: 0

Post by F Flinstone » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:25 am

I dont know why anyone can condone deliberate acts of mindless vandalisme, the cameras are there for a reason, and that is for your safety, I dont know how much they cost, perhaps couple of grand each, where do you think the money is going to come from to replace them, when these poor undernourished, militant, do gooders want new houses or better benefits, or whatever else they want, the state will turn round and say sorry we dont have enough money, if you want to protest then do it peacefully and dont cause upset and problems for other people, what about all the private cars they have torched, if it was yours, I bet you wouldn't be agreeing with them and smiling. Ff
These users thanked the author F Flinstone for the post (total 2):
mauve2 (Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:04 pm) • Dylan (Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:31 pm)
Rating: 25%

mysty

Post by mysty » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:51 am

F Flinstone wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:25 am
I dont know why anyone can condone deliberate acts of mindless vandalisme, the cameras are there for a reason, and that is for your safety, I dont know how much they cost, perhaps couple of grand each, where do you think the money is going to come from to replace them, when these poor undernourished, militant, do gooders want new houses or better benefits, or whatever else they want, the state will turn round and say sorry we dont have enough money, if you want to protest then do it peacefully and dont cause upset and problems for other people, what about all the private cars they have torched, if it was yours, I bet you wouldn't be agreeing with them and smiling. Ff
The last time I read about the costs of the speed cameras was 2006. They were slightly more than a couple of grand.
75000 a time, no idea what the costs will be now.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:26 pm

F Flinstone wrote:
the cameras are there for a reason, and that is for your safety,.............................
Fake news or propaganda. Take your pick.
Brexit [breg-zit, brek-sit] noun, The process where politicians and other lower life forms use democracy to perform the socio-economic destruction of a country.
see also Armageddon

curtis

Post by curtis » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:41 pm

An interesting article with replacement costs and mortality figures.

https://www.challenges.fr/automobile/ac ... tat_635709
Drive fast, attract the Police. Drive faster, attract sponsors.

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:54 pm

F Flinstone wrote:
I certainly don’t believe that the majority of speed cameras are there to improve road safety, if they were more would be placed where they do that job efficiently. Most that I know are placed for maximum revenue and several of them are actually a liability as so many drivers brake hard when they see them causing confusion for the traffic behind.
I remember several years ago when some cones and a temporary speed camera were put on an stretch of motorway in northern England. The cameras generated £750,000 and no works were carried out at the location. Cash cows.
These users thanked the author DominicBest for the post:
Aardvark (Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:57 pm)

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:13 pm

There are only 2 cameras that I regularly pass and one of them not even the late Mr Gatsonides could argue is there for anything but revenue purposes, the other is on the approach to a village so can be justified.

I had the nephew of the late Mr Gatsonides as a guest so managed to claw back the money that the revenue camera got from me when they changed it to bi-directional operation, no complaints, it was my fault, there was a new sign put up before it.

I think 100% of the cameras I have seen in my travels since the GJprotest started have been stopped from operating, not vandalised, just wrappped with a black bin liner or a gilet jaune, scandalous really when you think of all the lives that are now at risk yet they have never been removed, it still seems to be the same wrapping.

F Flinstone
Has thanked: 0

Post by F Flinstone » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:33 pm

Aardvark wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:26 pm
F Flinstone wrote:
the cameras are there for a reason, and that is for your safety,.............................
Fake news or propaganda. Take your pick.
Having worked in one of the emergency services, I have seen what a speeding car can do, if they had been going slower, they would have had time to stop, yes I do understand the point about "Cashcows", so why do people speed? I assume its because we all live in a must have now world and right now :? Workers who have to drive for a living are under pressure to get from A to B as quickly as possible, everyone is always late for an appointment, its better to arrive late, than DEAD on time. You want to keep speeding thats ok by me, its your licence, but it may be someone else's life, and that someone could be a person you know. Ff
These users thanked the author F Flinstone for the post (total 2):
Maricopa (Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:46 pm) • lindal1000 (Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:12 pm)
Rating: 25%