What are you doing today?

A place for some light-hearted chat.
mysty

Re: What are you doing today?

Post by mysty » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:04 am

Being Monday morning, not a lot yet. No snow yet but its on its way. Animals fed had breakfast (coco pops and frosties) paffing about on the internet. Slower start today meant to be finishing painting and laying a laminate floor.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

Spardo

Post by Spardo » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:43 pm

Gardengirl wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:55 pm
A splendid day at the AGM/Christmas lunch - the best way to get plenty of people to attend an AGM!

The business side was short, lunch OK apart from the duck being overcooked and tough, the charity raffle raised a lot of money, the photo competition was good, the carol singing was OK but there were too many of them, the band was fantastic and seeing old friends the best part of all.
The French really know how to do AGMs. The PAD (Dobermann asso) ones last all weekend. Feasting and drinking (though never to excess) and running the dogs on the beach if the venue is close to one. It is amazing how so many big dogs with a reputation for bad temper all get on so well together. The people don't fall out either. :D

Me, I'll be off in an hour or so, 2 Dobies from north to south and back home Thursday. Then Friday a giant of 65 cms at the shoulder and 46 kgs from Les Landes to the Dordogne for Phoenix. Can't wait, I may have to dismantle a cage and tether him in the space left at the back. :)

Gardengirl

Post by Gardengirl » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:45 pm

Spardo wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:43 pm
Gardengirl wrote:
A splendid day at the AGM/Christmas lunch - the best way to get plenty of people to attend an AGM!

The business side was short, lunch OK apart from the duck being overcooked and tough, the charity raffle raised a lot of money, the photo competition was good, the carol singing was OK but there were too many of them, the band was fantastic and seeing old friends the best part of all.
The French really know how to do AGMs. The PAD (Dobermann asso) ones last all weekend. Feasting and drinking (though never to excess) and running the dogs on the beach if the venue is close to one. It is amazing how so many big dogs with a reputation for bad temper all get on so well together. The people don't fall out either. :D

Me, I'll be off in an hour or so, 2 Dobies from north to south and back home Thursday. Then Friday a giant of 65 cms at the shoulder and 46 kgs from Les Landes to the Dordogne for Phoenix. Can't wait, I may have to dismantle a cage and tether him in the space left at the back. :)
The AGM was actually an English-speaking affair, although we have 23 nationalities registered, many of them French.

That dog really does sound like a giant! What breed is he - not a Leonberger by any chance?

Gardengirl

Post by Gardengirl » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:05 pm

We were packing and cleaning ready to leave tomorrow. A friend living downstairs had invited us for lunch - a little break from packing, she said. We envisaged a pleasant hour or so break from suitcases, maybe a quiche and salad. Not at all, home made walnut wine as an apero with nibbles, then a full 3 course delicious meal followed.

When the starter arrived I told myself we’d be there for a couple of hours, not 1 hour. Wrong! We left 4 hours after our arrival, having chatted and laughed such a lot.

Back upstairs it was almost time to choose our seats - 24 hours before the flight. We found that our flight from Marseille to Heathrow was cancelled - according to the BA employee, it’s due to a French air traffic controllers’ strike. We were automatically rebooked onto a flight on Wednesday morning, and as we didn’t want an early morning start, we’ve booked an airport hotel for tomorrow night, which should be paid for by BA as well as our meal tomorrow evening. What a good thing we hadn’t planned any appointments for Wednesday!

mysty

Post by mysty » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:55 am

It sounds like you have fantastic neighbours GG.

mysty

Post by mysty » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:59 am

A bit like Gardengirl we have an exciting day ahead. Out for fuel and a food shop this morning them mcdoos for lunch and finish off a laminate floor that should have been done yesterday. Due to unforeseen circumstances (watching blacklist) very little work got done. 8-)

Spardo

Post by Spardo » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:19 am

Gardengirl wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:45 pm
Spardo wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:43 pm
Gardengirl wrote:

The AGM was actually an English-speaking affair, although we have 23 nationalities registered, many of them French.

That dog really does sound like a giant! What breed is he - not a Leonberger by any chance?
No idea what he is, and he may not even travel now if he is not urgent. The reason is for the 2nd week running I have had a 600 km round trip simply to have a nice meal. This time I got to Vierzon to refuel to find a very very long queue with almost half of the pumps out of action. So I went to the routier for the night and returned to the Hyper early to find it closed. I knew I had enough fuel to get back home but not enough to get to the Belgian border so got on the autoroute to check out the first services at Salbris, and they were out of fuel too so I turned for home not willing to risk a similar story further north and get stranded miles from home perhaps for days, especially as the heater in the Teardrop has stopped working. :o

To get back to Jackson the giant. I managed to fill up at Chalus, not far from home, so could do the 500 km round trip for him Friday but it would leave me back here with little more than a quarter tank and who knows how long this madness will last. So I have asked Phoenix if he is urgent or not. We'll see, but the first job is to get the heater sorted. :|

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:19 pm

Is 65 cm at the shoulders really that giant? It's only just over 2 feet.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Spardo

Post by Spardo » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:38 pm

FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:19 pm
Is 65 cm at the shoulders really that giant? It's only just over 2 feet.
Well he'd look a giant in my 60 cm high cages. He is apparently a Lab/Beauceron X.

And I will collect and deliver him on Friday while searching for any fillups going along the way. If I don't at least I'll still have 100 kms or so still left in the tank, and I've no plans to go anywhere else that week.

SW31girl

Post by SW31girl » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:53 pm

Currently sitting on a plane on Heathrow waiting to return to Toulouse. As the pilot and first officer arrived after the passengers had boarded there’s going to be a bit of a delay.

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett