Fish and chips

A place to discuss food, share your recipes and drink choices/recommendations.
Flaneur

Re: Fish and chips

Post by Flaneur » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:06 pm

Spotty wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:47 pm
Fish & chips with bread and butter and a cup of tea
Fixed.

:mrgreen:
Same old nonsense.

Ally

Post by Ally » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:15 pm

alittlebitmorefrench wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:33 pm
Ally wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:52 pm
Eating fish and chips out isn't just about eating fish and chips. Certainly not where I go. It's a social occasion. For some weekly, for some fortnightly or monthly. For me it's probably on average 6 to 8 times a year. If it's not your thing, fair enough, but I can't stand this "why come to France and eat fish and chips with other English" attitude from people who come on holiday mainly and who are quick to ask you to translate for them. You'll have guessed I've got experience. Knobend that he is. You'll all know one.
And breathe... :D

My problem with Fish & Ships was summed up nicely by Simon earlier in the thread.

Fish and Ships at the end of the day is cr&p food. Why the British yap on about Fish & Ships is beyond me. IT IS CR&P food.

I prefer a nice salad. Especially this time of the year.

What is wrong with meeting up and having a nice salad ?
An observation based on what experience? Gie yersel peace.
Never in the history o' calming doon has a Scottish person being telt tae calm doon, ever calmed doon.

alittlebitmorefrench
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by alittlebitmorefrench » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:13 pm

Ally wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:15 pm
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:33 pm
Ally wrote:
Eating fish and chips out isn't just about eating fish and chips. Certainly not where I go. It's a social occasion. For some weekly, for some fortnightly or monthly. For me it's probably on average 6 to 8 times a year. If it's not your thing, fair enough, but I can't stand this "why come to France and eat fish and chips with other English" attitude from people who come on holiday mainly and who are quick to ask you to translate for them. You'll have guessed I've got experience. Knobend that he is. You'll all know one.
And breathe... :D

My problem with Fish & Ships was summed up nicely by Simon earlier in the thread.

Fish and Ships at the end of the day is cr&p food. Why the British yap on about Fish & Ships is beyond me. IT IS CR&P food.

I prefer a nice salad. Especially this time of the year.

What is wrong with meeting up and having a nice salad ?
An observation based on what experience?
Eating Fish & Chips ?

I have eaten it a few times. Can't remember why.

Its greasy potatoes, a fish that you can't taste because it is covered in greasy batter....and...and... that is about it.

It is cheap (well not cheap in France) nasty food.

ALBF salads do taste nicer 8-)

P.S I am happy to have the fish (without the batter) with some nice boiled potatoes. :good: Now that sounds nice.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:22 pm

It aint cheap and has not been for decades, it was once though, in the days when my dad used to say "plenty more fish in the sea my son!"

Refuse the chips and peel the greasy batter off and the fish is usually very tasty unless its something bought from the freezer cabinet in Lidl when it will be like chicken nuggets only worse,, its actually a very good way of cooking fish, arguably the best.

Serve what is left with a salad and give the dog the batter unless you are fond of your dog :lol:

Franksgranny

Post by Franksgranny » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:38 pm

Ally wrote:
I agree with this, also I never eat fish and chips in UK the Brits here in my part of France do them really well. I could make them myself but judging the oil temperature for the fish to get cooked without overcooking the batter is difficult so I prefer to leave it to the experts.

Ally

Post by Ally » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:48 pm

I had my first fish and chips in Scotland in years the last time I was back. Excellent. Italians. Good chance I'll be back for more in a couple of weeks. Italian chippies are usually good.
Never in the history o' calming doon has a Scottish person being telt tae calm doon, ever calmed doon.

alittlebitmorefrench

Post by alittlebitmorefrench » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:51 pm

You are what you eat 🍦

Ally

Post by Ally » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:55 pm

Are you vegetarian?

alittlebitmorefrench

Post by alittlebitmorefrench » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:07 pm

Ally wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:55 pm
Are you vegetarian?
No.... but I rarely eat meat.

I don't really like meat to be honest. It is not a vegetarian thing. Just don't like it.

I love vegetables and salads.

Archy

Post by Archy » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:43 am

Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:51 pm
You are what you eat 🍦
I wonder if that's why when we were selling an apartment that the Aussie who came to look at it asked he would find a load of cabbage heads sitting in the garden :shock: then :lol: