Hot cross buns advice please

A place to discuss food, share your recipes and drink choices/recommendations.
Franksgranny

Hot cross buns advice please

Post by Franksgranny » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:43 am

I made my first batch of the year on Sunday. I usually use fresh yeast or failing that the traditional dried, but on Sunday I used fast acting. The packet gave a recipe for an ordinary loaf, which you shaped and left to rise then baked with just the one rising, so I did the same for the buns and they came out well. This morning I was browsing some recipes, which all use that same kind of yeast but give it the traditional rising, then shaping and rising again, is there any point in doing that? Was I just lucky with my first batch?

vic evans
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Hot cross buns advice please

Post by vic evans » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:56 am

Franksgranny wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:43 am
I made my first batch of the year on Sunday. I usually use fresh yeast or failing that the traditional dried, but on Sunday I used fast acting. The packet gave a recipe for an ordinary loaf, which you shaped and left to rise then baked with just the one rising, so I did the same for the buns and they came out well. This morning I was browsing some recipes, which all use that same kind of yeast but give it the traditional rising, then shaping and rising again, is there any point in doing that? Was I just lucky with my first batch?
I'm only a Google educated baker but experience tells me that a second rise always gives a better product. I always use dried yeast.
The secret is not to over prove as this leads to a collapse when baking but if you ask me how long stuff should be left to prove I'd say 'till it's twice the size normally does it, knocking it back after each rise.
I'm into making crumpets at the mo. & even the 'sloppier than bread mix', mix needs a second rise to give a good result .
These users thanked the author vic evans for the post:
Franksgranny (Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:31 am)
Rating: 11.11%

PatF

Post by PatF » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:09 am

Here's a video -
https://www.750g.com/hot-cross-buns-r98717.htm
They use fresh yeast and just put it in the mixer with the other ingredients, which is unusual. But seems to work.
These users thanked the author PatF for the post:
Franksgranny (Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:31 am)
Rating: 11.11%

crakpot
Has thanked: 0

Post by crakpot » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:50 pm

As someone said save me one, I'll be back on Monday