Snapshots

You can share your photos and chat about photography here.
jsks

Re: Snapshots

Post by jsks » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:36 pm

3 1/2. He's settled really well but is a hopeless retriever having no instinct to retrieve at all. Not that we care. He's also very good when out and about especially in pubs/restaurants where he's quite happy to sleep under the table. And when our granddaughter stays he is never more than a foot from her - he sees himself as her guardian - it's very sweet.
These users thanked the author jsks for the post:
After the Storm (Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:43 pm)

Simonflys

Post by Simonflys » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:05 am

Here's our couple of rescue numpties Max 3 (black) and Leo 4 (golden)

Max came to us from the Toulouse guide dog school - he couldn't complete his training due to epilepsy - completely under control with daily drugs. Leo was abandoned down a well, found weighing 13kg (now40kg!), had to have around 30cm of his intestines removed as they'd packed in. (no words!).

Inseparable, wonderful, naughty, soft, gorgeous boys! (ps - they do have a basket each - they were just being daft!)
Max Leo - Edited.jpg
These users thanked the author Simonflys for the post (total 2):
After the Storm (Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:51 am) • jardiniere (Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:25 am)
I Never Did Mind About The Little Things.....
https://youtu.be/OSQR_GpCtEo

Oldblueraincoat

Post by Oldblueraincoat » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:04 am

After the Storm wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:56 pm
Mike, I occasionally use Mysty's phone to take photos but I still prefer a camera just now but I reckon I'll be converted one day.

Tom, that's great, just a pity Demon is too small to shift the alfas ;)

So a very simple explanation for anyone is now that you no longer need to resize a photo :lol: is - click "Post reply" in a thread. Scroll down below the box where you write a reply and you will see two tabs on the left, click attachments then click "Add files" to pick one from your picture files, you can click more than one. Select a photo and click open and then you will see it listed below "Add files". If you don't want to write anything before the photo(s) goes up you just click "Place inline" and then you will something like this in the reply box [ attachment=0]P6240094.JPG[/attachment ]. I have put spaces in that so it doesn't just put a photo up. Just do it again if you want to add another photo. I have actually never filled in the comment field :oops: as they have all just been my own photos then click submit.

Thankyou for this easy to follow guide and here are a couple of test pictures - one less than a MB the other 5.
IMG_1819 (2).JPG
IMG_1810.JPG
These users thanked the author Oldblueraincoat for the post:
After the Storm (Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:53 am)
“Were you proposing to shoot these people in cold blood, sergeant?"
"Nossir. Just a warning shot inna head, sir.”
Terry Pratchett, Jingo :) :)

Oldblueraincoat

Post by Oldblueraincoat » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:15 am

IMG_1810 (2).JPG
Don't know why the 2nd one is sideways so l have trimmed it a little and tried again - that seems to have worked - perhaps the picture needs to be squarer? - Thanks again for your help.
“Were you proposing to shoot these people in cold blood, sergeant?"
"Nossir. Just a warning shot inna head, sir.”
Terry Pratchett, Jingo :) :)

v12mike
Has thanked: 0

Post by v12mike » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:20 am

Oldblueraincoat wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:04 am
IMG_1819 (2).JPG

IMG_1810.JPG

That post illustrates a bug in the forum software (or more accuately a bug in the plupload library that the forum software uses to upload and re-size images).

When a phone takes a photo, although the photo normally appears the right way up, regardless of which way you hold the phone, the phone takes the photo whichever way up suits it, and adds an instruction in the exif header for the viewing software to rotate the image through 90°, 180°, or 270° as necessary to get it the right way up.

For pictures with the long edge less than 1600 pixels, the forum software decides that it does not need to shrink the image to produce a thumbnail, so it does not apply the rotation to correct the image. If you click on the image above with the wrong orientation, you will get taken to the original image, which your browser will display in the correct orientation.
These users thanked the author v12mike for the post:
After the Storm (Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:56 am)

After the Storm

Post by After the Storm » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:55 am

Oldblueraincoat wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:15 am
IMG_1810 (2).JPG

Don't know why the 2nd one is sideways so l have trimmed it a little and tried again - that seems to have worked - perhaps the picture needs to be squarer? - Thanks again for your help.

Resizing it is fine, it doesn’t need to be square. There will be a limit size so it doesn’t slow pages down I’ve now learnt as I was told before it would the forum, so we all learn something new here :P .

Btw, you will find some interest on here of old cars so if you’d like that, just start a new thread in this section of the forum. It is sometimes quiet in this part but it is always looked at.

For Mike, I wouldn’t bother about that bug you describe, it’s not a problem just reducing the size of a photo if it goes up sideways. It only takes seconds to resize it.
The Telegraph is simply The Sun for those on higher rate tax.

v12mike
Has thanked: 0

Post by v12mike » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:07 pm

It is not actually the resizing of the image that fixes the orientation, it just needs re-saving by any image processing software that will apply the correct orientation to the saved image.

I spent quite a while tracking down that bug last year, but it is outside my area of expertise and no-one seems to be in any hurry to fix it.