Charity Shops in France - where are they?

Where to buy things in France etc.
DominicBest

Re: Charity Shops in France - where are they?

Post by DominicBest » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:28 pm

Now Retired wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:33 pm
In London, the FreeCycle website is brilliant - post a photo and location and within minutes maybe 5 or 6 people have replied. Some collect within an hour or two too.

Yes, again the local déchetterie may indeed have a home for some items - it's just a shame that giving to causes is so difficult here.
Comparing what happens in London to what happens in a rural location anywhere is a bit strange.
I’m going up to northern France next week and a fair bit of the time that I’m there will re-allocating a lot items that have been given to a good cause there. The largest proportion of the re-location will be delivering broken or totally unsuitable items to the déchèterie / recyclerie although some things will be being passed on to the causes that will actually appreciate them. Giving to causes can be extremely easy here but unfortunately it is too often used as a means of rubbish disposal.
This might be somewhere to advertise bits and pieces; https://www.facebook.com/groups/4671650 ... ?ref=share

Now Retired

Post by Now Retired » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:48 pm

"Comparing what happens in London to what happens in a rural location anywhere is a bit strange."

Er.... no. I was simply making a comparison to emphasize my frustrations in trying to get anything like this done done in a rural area. I was also hoping someone might say "of course we have something like Le Freecycle" here in France too you know". And ... you have, I now know about the facebook group.

tohubohu

Post by tohubohu » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:57 pm

https://www.toutdonner.com/ if you want to give stuff away
Mieux vaut être saoule que con, parce que ça dure moins longtemps

Gardengirl

Post by Gardengirl » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:09 pm

Useful info, thank you.

I’ve tried various places but found our local branch of le Croix Rouge best around here, and I’m told that that they’ll happily pick up items no longer wanted. They have 2 big sales each year, when they sell donated items and make a good amount of money from the sales to help their work.

The Temple had a bric a brac sale on Saturday, so rushed there on Friday afternoon with ‘stuff’ we wanted to get rid of. They put most things out on the Saturday but nowadays are much more savvy about value and sell better items on the internet; a few years ago they let really good things go for a nominal amount

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:52 pm

Now Retired wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:48 pm
"Comparing what happens in London to what happens in a rural location anywhere is a bit strange."

Er.... no. I was simply making a comparison to emphasize my frustrations in trying to get anything like this done done in a rural area. I was also hoping someone might say "of course we have something like Le Freecycle" here in France too you know". And ... you have, I now know about the facebook group.
I still find it odd.