Soup makers

Where to buy things in France etc.
SW31girl

Re: Soup makers

Post by SW31girl » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:04 pm

Just to throw some ideas in. What about a Bamix system. It’s a superb Swiss hand blender and comes with a small food processor unit.
Sling vegetables into the food processor, then into a saucepan to cook and finally use the hand blender for your desired finish. It’s easy to use and, for me importantly, easy and quick to clean. Not cheap but I’m finding I am now using it more and more so it’s a useful gadget rather than one left in a cupboard!

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett

Flaneur

Post by Flaneur » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:37 pm

SW31girl wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:04 pm
...a Bamix system ... Not cheap ...
you can say that again!

I would really like a Bamix one day :) :innocent:
Same old nonsense.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:10 pm

SW31girl wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:04 pm

Sling vegetables into the food processor, then into a saucepan to cook and finally use the hand blender for your desired finish.
Thats how another French friend makes her soups although with a cheap Aldi hand blender like mine, I guess she has to be attentive to the cooking pot which is one drawback, taste wise and also texture wise her soups have not been in the same league as those of my compagnonne and they are both great cooks, whether its down to the soup maker or one excels more on soups than the other I dont know, certainly some of the tiny additional ingredients she adds are surprising and I think from inside chef knowledge.

Annabelle's Papa

Post by Annabelle's Papa » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:32 am

Hi, I apologise that I have not read all the posts past the first page but I would like to recommend the new style digital pressure cookers/slow cookers,

they are stand alone and just plug into a socket, fantastic for soups,stews,curries, complete one pot meals even putting dry pasta/rice in with the other ingredients and it just does its stuff. If you have time slow cook or less time pressure cook it, it tastes the same to me. It has a frying option , so you can brown meat and reduce veg before or after.

Mysty is right, it does have a smell but not like my Mum nuking veg out of existence in the past, it has a lovely smell of the meal you are about to have.

This one is smaller and would probably suit you better.

https://www.johnlewis.com/pressure-king ... lsrc=aw.ds

Ours is an Instapot the above is a Pressure King Pro, look up videos on YouTube.

We keep ours in the utility, so it doesn't take up any counter space.

Go for it ATS :good:
These users thanked the author Annabelle's Papa for the post:
After the Storm (Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:15 pm)
Rating: 11.11%
The truth is everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for. Bob Marley

After the Storm

Post by After the Storm » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:40 pm

I know I gave a thanks earlier but wanted to actually say thanks to you AP :D
If the road to hell is paved with good intentions, compromises on principles are the streetlights.

Annabelle's Papa

Post by Annabelle's Papa » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:48 am

After the Storm wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:40 pm
I know I gave a thanks earlier but wanted to actually say thanks to you AP :D
Thanks ATS, I thought I was going mad or hadn't hit the Submit button but my original post has disappeared , so I thought I had done it but not sent it (I have previous), so I started over again because I was sceptical about digital pressure cookers but now wouldn't be without ours and wanted to spread the word.
:good:
The truth is everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for. Bob Marley

Archy

Post by Archy » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:01 am

I roast all my veg with herbs in olive oil in the oven to get what I believe is the best flavour then throw into my blender, add a stock cube, heat and serve - c'est tout. Mrs A :D
These users thanked the author Archy for the post:
After the Storm (Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:08 pm)
Rating: 11.11%

bubbles1

Post by bubbles1 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:33 pm

I cook whatever I have either in my "bit bag" in the freezer or do a particular soup. I have a whizzy thing which I put into said pan to smooth - job done
WE CAN ALL SEE THE STARS BUT ONLY SOME OF US SEE THE LIGHT :good:

Flaneur

Post by Flaneur » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:44 am

bubbles1 wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:33 pm
I cook whatever I have either in my "bit bag" in the freezer or do a particular soup. I have a whizzy thing which I put into said pan to smooth - job done
Great idea to have a bits bag!
Same old nonsense.

Gardengirl

Post by Gardengirl » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:00 am

bubbles1 wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:33 pm
I have a bits bag in my freezer here and in my little freezer compartment in France, although only in winter there as it’s very small. I also use whizzy things, from Lakeland, resulting in some some very interesting mongrel soups at times............