Paraffin (Petrole)..Coronavirus restrictions

Where to buy things in France etc.
Le Démerdeur

Re: Paraffin (Petrole)..Coronavirus restrictions

Post by Le Démerdeur »

And I would think that it has higher lubricating properties, pétrole will knacker a diesel pump, ClamC wont although should not be used on common rail diesels, well shouldn't legally be used on any road diesel.

You will probably be able to get ClamC from an agricultural filling station but I would do some research regarding its safety for use for heating a non ventilated room, there may be noxious fumes from additives for use in agricultural diesels, OK in a greenhouse but perhaps not in the house?

SP1DER

Post by SP1DER »

Fitter wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:00 am
SP1DER wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:06 am
We buy it from leclerc supermarket petrol station, it's called Clamec I think and it's a pump like ordinary fuel pumps, obviously you have to take your own containers. We are nowhere near you so you will have to check at your local leclerc. Our local SuperU also sell 20l containers of paraffin.
I have looked for petrole for heaters at various gas stations, including our local LeClerc - never found any so we have to buy it in 20 litre bidons with the hassle of disposing of the empty bidons.

How much per litre is thus stuff from a petrol station pump please? Cannot find an online price.

The stuff from the pump is apparently called Clamc
"It is a suitable product for you and your petroleum fire . In fact, it has a low aromatic content and is therefore flavored. The specifications to be met are much stricter. The distributors are transparent about its provenance"

http://energieverte.fr/Distribution-vrac/default.aspx
The last lot I bought was 1.09€ per litre which is cheaper than the 26€ for 20l at local Super U. They seem to change the price at Super U on weekly basis so worth looking around. They used to collect the 20l containers for recycling but now I've been told they go to normal household rubbish that is one reason I buy from the garage, reuse the containers time and again.

Fitter

Post by Fitter »

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:06 pm
Is ClamC the same as pétrole/paraffin?

Because they are sold as seperate products, I know that an old school diesel can run happily on ClamC which is why they raised the price, there is a ClamC pump at Leclerc filling station at Arras but now costs more than diesel.

The closest translation that I could get was "lamp oil" which does sound like paraffin, there must be some difference between the two products.
Lamp oil is not petrole for use in a room heater

Lampant oil:
As the name suggests, kerosene is intended for kerosene lamps whose combustion is done by a wick. This should not be used in your petroleum fire!

The reasons are as follows:

the rate of aromatics is very high (often more than 5% of aromatics, remember that the French specification is 1% max.)
it is classified in the ADR category, that is to say that it has an ignition point (flash point) below 61 °, which is to say that it is dangerous to transport several cans.
The sulfur and benzene (carcinogenic molecule) content is very high. You risk a fire in your device.
It is therefore dangerous for your health, your safety and your fire to use this type of product! So be careful, it is not uncommon to find this type of product that you are sold for Clamc; Do not hesitate to request the technical data sheet from your dealer.

The Clamc:
It is a suitable product for you and your petroleum fire . In fact, it has a low aromatic content and is therefore flavored (deodorised?). The specifications to be met are much stricter. The distributors are transparent about its provenance.

There are several ranges of Clamc, the difference is in the aromatic content which goes from 0.1 to 0.0001% of aromatics. The lower the aromatic content, the less it smells. However, the quality of a Clamc is judged on all of its specifications.

In addition, we invite you to read the instructions for your devices for optimal use.

Fuel:
This is a question that comes up regularly : Is Clamc a fuel? The answer is no. It is strictly forbidden to use it as fuel. You would face heavy penalties.

In addition, a yellow tracer agent (yellow 124) contained in the clamc will leave a trace in the tank of your vehicle. Customs have increased their controls with the rise in fuel prices.

http://energieverte.fr/societe/infos-produits.aspx
“He who controls the past, controls the future; and he who controls the present, controls the past.”
George Orwell “1984”

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

All the more confused now especially as yours looks to have been machine translated from French.

What I thought I knew, please correct me if I am wrong.

Paraffin (English) = Petrole (French) ?

Clam C when I searched was described as "lamp oil" - correct or not?

So what is lampant oil when its at home? Sounds like a bad translation

I thought the stuff sold in the Brico-sheds for use in home heaters was named pétrole, is that correct?

What is ClamC intended to be sold for? - fioul for home boilers perhaps? Tractors? Its sold from fuel pumps and not from bidons, aside from one Leclerc filling station all the pumps I have seen have been at agricultural outlets.

Are you absolutely sure its OK for use in a heater in an unventilated domestic setting? I suggested it but felt I had to add a warning, perhaps if you have the original French text article?

SP1DER

Post by SP1DER »

Been using it for years and we are still here.

Le Clamc:

C'est un produit adapté pour vous et votre feu à pétrole. En effet, il a une basse teneur en aromatiques puique désaromatisé. Les spécifications à respecter sont beaucoup plus strictes. Les distributeurs sont transparents sur sa provenance.

Il existe plusieurs gammes de Clamc, la différence se trouve dans la teneur en aromatiques qui va de 0.1 à 0.0001% d'aromatiques. Plus le taux d'aromatiques est bas moins il sent. Toutefois la qualité d'un Clamc se juge sur la totalité de ses spécifications.

De plus, nous vous invitons à lire les notices de vos appareils pour une utilisation optimale.

Fitter

Post by Fitter »

The fuel that electronic petrole heaters run on is the same as C1 grade paraffin in the UK. Some friends of ours who had a Zibro heater returned to the UK and took it with them. They buy the C1 paraffin for it in the UK.
It officially called Premium Paraffin / Premium Kerosene (BS 2869 Class C1)
If you buy a Zibro heater in the UK, or from Amazon UK that's what the manual tells you to run it on.

https://www.compassfuels.co.uk/fuel-oil ... -paraffin/

No problem with translating that!

And you will not be able to run an old school diesel on it neat - you will have to add a lubricant.
It has been done in emergencies, during fuel shortages etc. Suggested mixtures are 100 to 1 two stroke oil plus something called Stanadyne fuel lubricant. And even then kerosene burns hotter than diesel and will accelerate top end engine wear.
The US army in various arts of the world have run their diesels on aircraft kerosene (Avtur) and accepted that it's cheaper and convenient to repair or replace engines afterwards than ship in diesel fuel specially for road vehicles.
“He who controls the past, controls the future; and he who controls the present, controls the past.”
George Orwell “1984”