Decking down.

A place for you to discuss your project and/or show photos of what you are doing?
mysty

Re: Decking down.

Post by mysty » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:31 pm

FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:59 pm
After the Storm wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:07 pm
About 4 hours to do the beam work, there is a two meter drop on the far away side. Took about six hours with cold drink breaks to put the decking down. It meaures 5m by 4m. We bought 4m50 length of decking and the offcuts will all be used to make the flower bed in front of a wall.
First photo shows mysty's new green work shoes, 15 euros in leclerc, me I've still got holes in my joggers :P and mine aren't new.
That's the sort of bricolage I love doing. And I can't always get all my screws going in a straight line either.
Off setting the screws gives it strength as the timber dries out, tried and tested by Nasa 8-)
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

Le Démerdeur

Re: Decking down.

Post by Le Démerdeur » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:40 pm

After the Storm wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:19 pm
All the screws have been countersunk. Mysty did the first drilling with the large wood drill for them to countersunk and I followed with a thin wood drill before the screws went in. So the lack of straight lines should be taken up with him :P and the reason for the predrilling is so there is no chance of splitting the wood I believe. I just do as I am told :innocent:
He is right, the screw head will make its own countersink but if a pilot hole is not drilled it can split as he says but can "jack" itself away from the support underneath and not clamp down.

You can get decking screws with wings (not sanitary products!) which open out the hole while screwing and they have a reverse helix under the head to clamp the joint, no predrilling needed with them but they are expensive.

God how I miss the DIY :cry: only time I have gone this long without was when I was travelling but there was always a Land Rover or an outboard motor to fix and I did building & carpentry work for a hostel owner in NZ.

I have got to get my hand back in.