Windows and doors

A place for you to discuss your project and/or show photos of what you are doing?
Annabelle's Papa

Re: Windows and doors

Post by Annabelle's Papa » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:53 am

I tried to post on here yesterday but it some how got lost in the ether.

We have done many renovation projects in France, up until 8 years ago it was Lapeyre all the way for windows and doors, even their cheapest wood range were good, however they changed, increased price, lack of stock and no better quality than the Brico sheds, we replaced some windows in our Breton Longere last year, 6 large double opening wood windows and double patio door €1450 from Leroy Merlin, they even delivered. There was a problem with a compromised pane of glass showing mist inside the double glazing unit when full sun was on it, emailed them (admittedly had to chase them up 3 times) but 3 weeks after I flagged it up, I got an email to say it was ready, they gave me a complete replacement window, so swapped over offending pane and used the new window on a non sunny spot.

Learnt something watching one of those "living in the sun" type programmes with Dick Sawbridge (or whatever), he was talking about a French house having a recording studio on the top floor of a grand house with quadruple glazing, I was intrigued and continued watching, they only used two sets of double glazed units, using the recess of the windows to set the second set, genius and a fraction of the cost of triple glazing !
The truth is everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for. Bob Marley

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:31 am

That would work if the outer windows were UK sourced outward opening, bit of a challenge to have volets though.
These users thanked the author Le Démerdeur for the post:
Annabelle's Papa (Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:55 pm)
Rating: 11.11%

Annabelle's Papa

Post by Annabelle's Papa » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:55 pm

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:31 am
That would work if the outer windows were UK sourced outward opening, bit of a challenge to have volets though.
I agree, they did not open the windows on the programme as they were testing for sound proofing, we would be OK here in Brittany, our walls are at least a metre thick, so double inward opening windows could work.

Please note- I have thanked you !
The truth is everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for. Bob Marley

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:54 pm

Yes, I see I have an 11.1% percent rating whatever that means!