DIAGNOSTICS

Loup-garou

Re: DIAGNOSTICS

Post by Loup-garou » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:55 pm

Thanks again to all for the replies - especially Robert Arthur for the bedtime reading.

Since some seem to want to cast me as a pantomime villain, problems have been identified with the gas supply, flues and gas boiler for the central heating. I have said not to worry about them as I wish to have a modern boiler which can be activated via the internet so nothing to debate, I am happy to change all and bring it up to standard.

I would also point out that my questions were:-
"If anyone is in the know, could you please advise me whether what the immoblier has relayed back about complying with current standards is correct? Also, how significant are the shortcomings outlined in the report and might they be dangerous?"

That is to say, questions about complying with standards and safety - nowhere do I seek ammunition to beat the current owner into submission. But, if you are looking for a Friday night bust-up, feel free I'm off for a mood lightener! :roll:

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:39 pm

I hope that I answered both of your questions in my post, the remainder of it was responding to a previous response.

treiziste

Post by treiziste » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:44 pm

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:50 pm
treiziste wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:02 pm
Get an estimate for work needed to bring the property up to standard, present it to the seller and ask for that figure to be knocked off the price.
If as a seller I were presented with a silly offer from a buyer using that logic I would tell them to buy a new property built (allegedly) to the current normes and not waste any more of my time.
Far from silly, i've always used that method which usually works
I bought this current residence last october, the diagnostic report told us a new sanitation system was required plus an update of the consumer unit (tableau ?) which was out of date and requiring upgrading. I asked for an estimate or both and made a final offer on the property less 10500€ and 2600€ respectively for new sanitation and electrics. The offer was accepted and the work was carried out a few months back.
These users thanked the author treiziste for the post:
rabbit (Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:23 am)

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:04 pm

I didnt say it wouldnt work, and I would consider using it as a purchaser if the house was overpriced but its less conflictual to say "I am willing to offer X given the condition of the property" than try to convince a seller to finance your desire to own a new house built to the new standards.

A silly offer means a silly price in the context that it was written, if the property is correctly priced for its size, location, age and condition and a buyer expects you to reduce the price so he can change perfectly functional electrical, sanitary, sewage and heating systems for new ones that meet the new normes then its a silly offer and that would be my response.

The partner of a forum member asked me to store his trailer while he sold it on ebay and to recieve the money and to release it to the buyers, he neglected to tell the buyers or myself that there was a problem with the rear lights, it was dark, winter and I tried my best to fix it, the buyers (French) were getting fed up, they wanted me to reduce the price but would not accept that it was not mine to do so, I told them that I would fix it for them in daylight the next day but they were insistent that they had to take it that night, fair enough, I gave them a spare bulb set to produce in case they got stopped but could do no more for them that night, I was already quite miffed with the seller.

They said they would take it but would pay €90 less because that would be the cost of a PV if they got stopped, I told them to leave and find someone else to annoy.
These users thanked the author Le Démerdeur for the post:
Aardvark (Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:54 pm)

rabbit

Post by rabbit » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:21 am

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:53 pm
No obligation, it met the normes en vigeur when installed or maybe not, unless the property is way overpriced anyway you are just going to engender antagonism by using any electricians devi to negotiate the price down, if you are really concerned you could ask them to have the missing earths on the wall sockets connected, that is reasonable because they could potentially be dangerous especially without RCD protection in the tableau.

An analogy would be looking at a 10 year old second hand car with normal wear & tear and non critical faults priced accordingly and you try to knock the person down enough money to have it restored into a brand new vehicle.

You would however say "you want €5k, I am offering you €4.5k but for that price I would expect you to have those 2 bald tyres replaced".
What I said was " I would get a trusted electrician to give me a Devis for eliminating the problems and use this to evaluate how much I was prepared to pay for the property" I didn't say anything about using the devis as a cudgel to beat the price down. However it all depends on whether the property reflects market value and we don't know that

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:31 pm

Point taken I apologise.

In mitigation it was not I that spoke of beating people down with a cudgel nor your good self that spoke of Get an estimate for work needed to bring the property up to standard, present it to the seller and ask for that figure to be knocked off the price. which I think is what most of us reacted to.
These users thanked the author Le Démerdeur for the post:
rabbit (Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:16 pm)