Advice on a light switch required

Ally

Advice on a light switch required

Post by Ally » Fri May 10, 2019 1:49 pm

Advice on altering a lighting circuit.
The photo shows the interior of a two gang light switch with only one switch in use. The switch operates 2 ceiling lights along with another single switch by another door so other than the redundant switch, a normal va et vient set up.
Questions
1 The red is the live in?
2 The two blacks go one to the other switch and one to the two light fittings?
3. One of the blacks should be another colour?
4. To make only one light v et v and the other independent on the currently redundant switch is it simply a matter of connecting a new live from that side of the switch to the light and removing the appropriate black from the boîte de derivation to the light?
I'll post the photo separately.
Never in the history o' calming doon has a Scottish person being telt tae calm doon, ever calmed doon.

Ally

Re: Advice on a light switch required

Post by Ally » Fri May 10, 2019 2:02 pm

Red is at the top
IMG_2685.JPG
IMG_2685.JPG (38.16 KiB) Viewed 256 times
Never in the history o' calming doon has a Scottish person being telt tae calm doon, ever calmed doon.

RobertArthur

Post by RobertArthur » Fri May 10, 2019 2:25 pm

You can use one of the black navettes between the two switches as feed for the light. For the perfectionist: on / off, upwards or downwards? In France there are two colours you should respect: the green/yellow earth wire and the blue neutral. The rest can be almost any colour. Live / phase: red, brown and black (and grey in three-phase). Orange, violet, black for almost all intermediate "live carriers" as fil-pilote, va-et-vient, télérupteur wiring etc.

The French electrical code about colours:

514.3 Repérage des conducteurs isolés

c) Les conducteurs repérés par des couleurs autres que la double coloration vert-et-jaune et la
couleur bleu clair, ou par d'autres moyens (tels que chiffres), peuvent être utilisés pour tous
usages sauf comme conducteur de protection ou comme conducteur neutre (à l'exception des
câbles à plus de 5 conducteurs) (voir b) ci-dessus).

Ally

Post by Ally » Fri May 10, 2019 6:41 pm

Cheers Robert. I think I get that.

michael86

Post by michael86 » Fri May 10, 2019 8:29 pm

Hi Ally,

This link shows the wiring for a two way switch. The colours are different from yours so ignore them.

https://www.legrand.fr/questions-freque ... -une-piece

You can see the two navettes go directly from one switch to the other. The two black wires on your picture look as if they should be the navettes, but you say one of them goes to the other switch and one to the light fittings. That doesn't seem right.

If the switch in your picture is as the one on the left in the diagram, it has the live feed into it. To do what you wanted to do, link from the live feed of this switch to the common connection on the unused switch, then connect a new wire from one of the other connections of the unused switch and run it to the light that you don't want to be two way switched anymore. Disconnect the existing wire from this light and connect your new wire. Make the redundant wire safe.

If the switch in your picture is as the one on the right in the diagram, it has no permanent live feed into it and to do what you wanted to do would involve more wiring. Would it be possible to post a picture of the connections in the other switch? It might give a clue as to how it is wired at present.

Michael
These users thanked the author michael86 for the post:
Ally (Fri May 10, 2019 8:42 pm)
Rating: 11.11%

Ally

Post by Ally » Fri May 10, 2019 8:42 pm

Michael, thanks for taking the time, and Robert too. This is not in my house so I think I'm going to advise my friend to get the professionals in.
My comment about the black wires was an assumption. There's enough doubt planted in my mind to steer clear.
Thanks again.

Ally