Do you think I've broken my Linky.

lindal1000

Re: Do you think I've broken my Linky.

Post by lindal1000 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:27 pm

OH isn't here at the moment but I think I remember him saying that the Linky in France is very different from the smart meters in the UK. We've had ours several weeks. OH watched him install it with an eagle eye to make sure he did it right. We haven't had any trips and we are on 3 phase with some of the phases near their max. OH was disappointed that he couldn't get the device fitted that allows you to monitor your use due to 'technical problems' (ie they don't work with 3 phase)

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:53 pm

Yes I am sure they are different but the driving force behind them is the same, both France and the UK are good at working towards agreed environmental targets but take a lot of flak as a consequence like the diesel protest, seeing the link of the worldwide prices of diesel I was in a perverse way quite proud that France and the UK were side by side as having the highest diesel prices which is only through taxes, the barrel price must be more or less the same as other non oil producing western countries.

what is common between the Linky roll out and the UK smart meter roll out is the inexperienced newly fast track trained installers,the pressure put on them to meet targets and the consequent errors and burning of conductors and in some cases the building. Its inevitable that there will always be a small percentage but if you dont accept the Linky then you know that it cannot happen to you other than from another electrical fault which as you say are numerous.

My building had the phase and neutrals reversed for over 80 years despite many extensions and upgrades to the electrical installation over the years by qualified electricians it was never picked up, as it had ceramic cartridge fuses it meant that when a circuit was disconnected it was still live, even ERDF when they re-connected it said that it was safe up to the disjoncteur but not beyond because of the old decayed wiring, whereas in fact the reversed connection was on their side behind the lead seals, they only had one thing to check and they failed, the fatal mistake had been their 80 years and never picked up so you can see why I have very little faith in them and even less in the inexperienced Linky installers who will move on to being life coaches, diagnostiqueurs or financial advisors once the roll out is finished.

Ally

Post by Ally » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:06 pm

lindal1000 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:27 pm
OH isn't here at the moment but I think I remember him saying that the Linky in France is very different from the smart meters in the UK. We've had ours several weeks. OH watched him install it with an eagle eye to make sure he did it right. We haven't had any trips and we are on 3 phase with some of the phases near their max. OH was disappointed that he couldn't get the device fitted that allows you to monitor your use due to 'technical problems' (ie they don't work with 3 phase)
After having a (dual fuel?) smart meter fitted in Scotland I was disappointed by the lack of smart meter functionality in the Linky. The Linky is definitely for the convenience of the electricity provider. From my perspective it's a meter like any other except a reader doesn't need access.

Ally

Post by Ally » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:13 pm

And as a PS to my original issue. The flippin cable was still live when the power went back on. Ghosts of bricoleurs past. Nearly the ghost of bricoleur present.

jsks

Post by jsks » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:16 pm

Well, you've always been a live wire, Ally.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:31 pm

"From my perspective it's a meter like any other except a reader doesn't need access"

Neither did the old ones unless they were very old, all the compteur CBE's and i think their predecessor are read remotely at the pastille de téléreportage accessible on the property boundary.

What they can do with the Linky is cut you off or drop you down to half an amp remotely when "computer says no"

RobertArthur

Post by RobertArthur » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:05 pm

....or upgrade your puissance souscrite remotely when the "computer says yes", not always safe as Promotelec wrote after several alarming incidents.