Wood burner that can run Central heating as well whats the catch

mysty

Wood burner that can run Central heating as well whats the catch

Post by mysty » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:33 pm

She found this earlier today, 20kw so huge heat output plus it has a back boiler for central heating. Why is it cheap compared to other French models.

https://www.chaleurbois.com/poele-bois- ... 20-kw.html
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

Annabelle's Papa

Re: Wood burner that can run Central heating as well whats the catch

Post by Annabelle's Papa » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:13 pm

The problem I have experienced with log burners that can also run the central heating is in a cold spell, heating is switched on, all the hot water gone to the system and the log burner is basically heating cold water up and you lose that heat to the room/s while it is doing so. The one I had which was 18 years ago had a water 'jacket' around the sides and back of the fire, so less surface area to get hot (Aarrow was the brand from Cornwall I think).
I eventually went for gas central heating as was the norm then and a big multi fuel stove in the lounge. Could not use the original stove once disconnected as it was 6kw to the room and 12kw to the heating, so 18kw was just too powerful, so we shipped it to our first house in France, totally unheated, filled the water 'jacket' with silver sand and enjoyed a whole house heated from an 18kw stove.

:good:
These users thanked the author Annabelle's Papa for the post:
After the Storm (Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:24 pm)
The truth is everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for. Bob Marley

After the Storm

Post by After the Storm » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:29 pm

Taking note of what you have said AP, this one gives out more heat from the wood burner itself (10kws) and can have a large number of radiators too. https://www.chaleurbois.com/poele-bois- ... r-80b.html Problem is the house couldn’t be described open plan and there is one bedroom on the ground floor that is tucked away far from where the wood burner would be.
In the parallel universe inhabited by Brexiteers rationality and logic are increasingly inverted if not outright subverted.

Fitter

Post by Fitter » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:07 am

mysty wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:33 pm
She found this earlier today, 20kw so huge heat output plus it has a back boiler for central heating. Why is it cheap compared to other French models.

https://www.chaleurbois.com/poele-bois- ... 20-kw.html
The only comment I can make on that is that the efficiency figure of 85% seems very high for a woodburner - is that some sort of official figure?
They are usually in the 70 -75% region.
Whenever you hear the consensus of scientists agrees on something or other, reach for your wallet, because you’re being had.

– Michael Crichton

mysty

Post by mysty » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:07 am

They claim to be very efficient.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:29 am

The thing that would put me off that one is the need to have logs cut to 40cm but that’s only because I’m lazy. My logs come in metre lengths but in most cases they are longer than that. My previous logburner took 50 cm logs so a one metre log needed cutting in half very carefully to fit. I usually cut the logs into three as a log 1.05 m cut into two could end up with both halves being too long. My new poele takes logs over 50cm and any of the about one metre logs cut in two fits. What this means in practise is that last year I spent less time sawing wood, used significantly less 2 stroke and produced much less sawdust.
I would also be reluctant to rely solely on wood heating as it limits the time that the house can be left without anyone around to keep adding logs. I used to have two wood burners but replaced one of them with an electric storage heater that keeps the kitchen warm even if I’m out all day. With that background heat in the house the lounge heats up very quickly when the woodburner in there is lit.

Annabelle's Papa

Post by Annabelle's Papa » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:18 am

DominicBest wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:29 am

I would also be reluctant to rely solely on wood heating as it limits the time that the house can be left without anyone around to keep adding logs. I used to have two wood burners but replaced one of them with an electric storage heater that keeps the kitchen warm even if I’m out all day. With that background heat in the house the lounge heats up very quickly when the woodburner in there is lit.
I like your thinking Dominic, at our holiday home we have a large log burner in the open plan lounge and electric wall mounted oil filled radiators elsewhere which are on an analogue timer which I can set when I am there, however, I have one in the kitchen (still open plan) and it is plugged into the wall on a smart plug, I can use the app on my phone to switch it on and off, great for when you arrive to have some heat already on and also if the heating on the timers has gone off I can switch it on from my bed.
Smart plug like this one.

Yes, you do need an Amazon Alexa, but we bought a Alexa Dot for £29.99 and I can buy more plugs and think of other uses.
The truth is everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for. Bob Marley

Annabelle's Papa

Post by Annabelle's Papa » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:58 pm

After the Storm wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:29 pm
Taking note of what you have said AP, this one gives out more heat from the wood burner itself (10kws) and can have a large number of radiators too. https://www.chaleurbois.com/poele-bois- ... r-80b.html Problem is the house couldn’t be described open plan and there is one bedroom on the ground floor that is tucked away far from where the wood burner would be.
Hi ATS, ask my wife, she certainly noticed one -6 degree night when I decided to have a bath on coming home from work, not only did the radiators go cold but the log burner struggled to push out any heat for quite a few hours! It certainly wasn't my decision to have it removed, it was a marriage breaker if it stayed but modern systems may of improved,

If you are thinking of having one as I have described I thought afterwards that having a separate hot water tank would of worked but you do need a separate tank to take any excess hot water by gravity if you have a power cut when the system is going flat out and you have a power cut.
These users thanked the author Annabelle's Papa for the post:
After the Storm (Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:05 pm)